Duplicate Expense

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
extremeexplorers

Duplicate Expense

Post by extremeexplorers »

My counselors submitted a reimbursement request for a member. They didn't think it went through and so the did it again. Now on the Bishop's Review screen there are 2 transactions. I approved one (to be paid EFT) but I do not know how to delete the 2nd transaction. So it remains in the "Bishop's Review" tab. How should I handle this?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Duplicate Expense

Post by scgallafent »

If they were both EFT, they were both probably paid and the member needs to reimburse the ward for the duplicate payment.
extremeexplorers

Post by extremeexplorers »

So should I approve the other transaction so it doesn't sit in the queue?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

extremeexplorers wrote:So should I approve the other transaction so it doesn't sit in the queue?
If I understand correctly the additional (duplicate) expense is waiting for a second approval and the bishop review. Is that correct? If so then the duplicate can be easily rejected before it passes on for processing.

If there have been two approvals and is only awaiting for the bishop approval there still may be a chance to reject the the duplicate expense. If the expense has not been processed by the payees bank I would try to reject it. Go to the Bishops Review page and click the Review button for one of the attachments. Then click the Reject Button. If you can get that far then the expense may not have been processed by the payee's bank. Once the expense is rejected it can be deleted at the Pending Expenses page. Don't delete it though until you can confirm the EFT payment did not go through. You may need the reference number later on if you need to contact the GSD. It does take anywhere from a few hours to a few days for an expense EFT to go through to the payees bank and processed by that bank. You can tell if the EFT has been processed when the expense shows Cleared on the Expenses Summary page. If it still shows Issued then it may still be able to be rejected.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

I don't know, but maybe I am just lazy. At this point I would just talk to the member and tell them what happened and I am sure that they would be glad to reimburse the Ward.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

That is what we did when the two bishopric counselors recently submitted and approved the same reimbursement to me twice. I just wrote a check, and put the money back into the budget.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
moronihah

Post by moronihah »

drepouille wrote:That is what we did when the two bishopric counselors recently submitted and approved the same reimbursement to me twice. I just wrote a check, and put the money back into the budget.
Did the check you write get classified as tithing or what? Or did it matter? I have a similar situation in my ward.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

moronihah wrote:Did the check you write get classified as tithing or what? Or did it matter? I have a similar situation in my ward.
No, it's deposited to budget. I believe that's available on the paper slip.

This has to be done as a paper check in gray envelope style. It can't be done on-line.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:No, it's deposited to budget. I believe that's available on the paper slip.
I think you have to write "Budget Reimbursement" or something similar in the Other line of the paper slip. But yes, the funds can be redeposited to the Budget category.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I had to do the same thing yesterday -- our only "donation" in the batch. As I was reviewing all expenses to prepare for our next audit, I discovered that I had paid a YW leader twice for the same expense, since the bishop and the YW president had sent the receipt to me via email in July, and then again in August. So yesterday, we processed the check from the YW leader in the Budget category, which added the amount to our 2021 budget bottom line. Interesting.

The payback check is not tithing, since it was not marked as such. And it will not appear as a tax-deductible donation on the official tax statement.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Local Unit Finance”