Recommended Sony HD Cam - getting video out without menu items

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
kreeve

Recommended Sony HD Cam - getting video out without menu items

Post by kreeve »

Who is using the recommended Sony HD Cam. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R5 ... F8&psc=1he

I can get live video out of it using the supplied HDMI cable, but I cant seem to find a menu option to get rid of menu overlays on the video out. I could get it down to 2 of them. One being the words MENU.

Plan to use the camera for live stream on Sunday. Just arrived today.

Kevin
Logan Utah YSA 4th Stake
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Recommended Sony HD Cam - getting video out without menu items

Post by russellhltn »

That looks very much like the one I use.

I can't remember, but I think there's a menu setting like "TV out" that you have to turn OFF. What that feature does is make the output the same as the viewfinder (which has all that stuff) instead of just the video itself. But because of the way it's worded, you think you need it on to see any video.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
josephchild

Post by josephchild »

I was testing out my Sony HandyCam (a slightly older version of the one you posted - HD-CX260). And while I was plugged in, I didnt see any overlays into the video feed unless I was touching the LCD screen. I did run into an issue where after 10 minutes, the camera lens would close and it started playing commercials for the camera on the stream! Apparently it was in demo mode after my battery was completely drained, Haha. So make sure to take it out of Demo mode or it will start putting commercials into your stream after 10 minutes. Mine is set up using an HDMI cable into a capture card (elgato HD60S - I would just use an elgato Camlink if I had one of those instead, the HD60S is overkill) and then into my laptop using USB 3.0 and then OBS picks it up and broadcasts it to YouTube. I dont hit record on the camera or anything, I just leave it in standby mode and send the video feed to my laptop. It seems to work pretty well.
bongoo

Post by bongoo »

Aloha!

Not sure if you have gotten an answer yet but what you are looking for is a "clean hdmi out". According to Sony support, this camera "does not" support this.

Sony Support:
The Sony HDR-CX405 does not support clean HDMI output. When camera is connected to an external monitor via HDMI cable, you will get an icons such as "REC" and the volume level.

There are some solutions that may help to "block" these on screen nuisances, but if you can return the camera, might be ideal.

In the search for a new camera, specifically google to see if it supports "clean hdmi out", whether you are using a video or dslr camera. Not all cameras support this over hdmi or even usb in "camera" or "live" view.

Good luck.
studerje

Post by studerje »

We bought 2 of these camera because they were recommended on the church site. I'm headed over this afternoon to test. it would be real bummer if I have to return.
Any other options?
studerje

Post by studerje »

I am able to get clean HDMI video out from the camera. nothing extra showing up on my Vidiu Stream.
Menu -> Camera -> Display -> Auto (Instead of on) <- this is all the way at the bottom.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”