Managed switches

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
dcburnett

Re: Managed switches

Post by dcburnett »

Thanks all for your help. According to https://community.meraki.com/t5/Switchi ... td-p/36459, there are few/no compatibility issues for these SFP's. However, I am unable to get past the orange light with the sfp port, whereas it boots fine through one of the 8 rj45 ports. Guess I'll buy a different module and see if that works.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I did my first switch last night. The main light stayed orange for a long time, then suddenly went white. It may have been 5 minutes.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:I did my first switch last night. The main light stayed orange for a long time, then suddenly went white. It may have been 5 minutes.
Could this be because firmware/configuration updates are happening?
I ask because I will be involved in installing these switches, in my own Stake next year. Forewarned is forearmed! :D
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Biggles wrote:Could this be because firmware/configuration updates are happening?
Yes. I attended some online training recently, and was told that these switches have been in the box for several months now. When they first connect to the Internet, they phone home for all of the updates they are missing. Depending on your Internet connection speed, this sometimes happens quickly, and sometimes takes much longer.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Thanks for the information!
mitchrichie

Post by mitchrichie »

lajackson wrote:
mitchrichie wrote:I was able to revert to the old switch and get everything working again but now what?
As STS, you should be able to install the new managed switch. Instructions are at the Help Center. Go to this page and scroll down to Meetinghouse Switches. The Meetinghouse Meraki Managed Switch Installation Guide link takes you to a PDF file with instructions.

If you are interested, the Meetinghouse Technology folks are providing online training through Microsoft Teams on Friday, September 18, and Monday, September 21. If you send me your email in a Private Message, I will forward the information to you. If you were able to reconfigure back to the old network, you probably will not need the online training but will be able to do it from the printed instructions. I have read them, and even some of our less technically-minded assistant STS folks think they can do it. I will let them, but I will also be there with them.

As an STS, I was given the opportunity to accept the assignment to install the new switches at meetinghouses in my stake, or to let the FM Group do it. I accepted the assignment. My switches are scheduled to arrive tomorrow (Monday) and the fun will begin for me. Based on information I have received, 579 of us in the United States agreed to do it.
Thanks for the info. When I click on the pdf link I get an error - failed to load the pdf document. Is this just me or is the link down?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mitchrichie wrote:Thanks for the info. When I click on the pdf link I get an error - failed to load the pdf document. Is this just me or is the link down?
I don't see any issues. There may have been a temporary server issue. If you still have problems there could be a problem on your end. Check that you have an operating PDF file viewer and you can open another PDF document from another source.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mitchrichie

Post by mitchrichie »

jdlessley wrote:
mitchrichie wrote:Thanks for the info. When I click on the pdf link I get an error - failed to load the pdf document. Is this just me or is the link down?
I don't see any issues. There may have been a temporary server issue. If you still have problems there could be a problem on your end. Check that you have an operating PDF file viewer and you can open another PDF document from another source.
After reviewing the PDF instructions I see that we are supposed to connect all of the building access points directly to the new managed switch. This is a bit of a problem in our older buildings where wifi was added as a retrofit. The current setup has cat5e runs from the current unmanaged switch to the clerk(s) offices where we connect to another smaller unmanaged switch so that we can feed the clerk computer, printer, and wifi access points. Must these new managed switches be used? If so, it will require running new data cables to each of the access points - which is probably a good upgrade to do but will require quite a bit of attic crawling.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mitchrichie wrote:After reviewing the PDF instructions I see that we are supposed to connect all of the building access points directly to the new managed switch. This is a bit of a problem in our older buildings where wifi was added as a retrofit. The current setup has cat5e runs from the current unmanaged switch to the clerk(s) offices where we connect to another smaller unmanaged switch so that we can feed the clerk computer, printer, and wifi access points.
Send an email to mht. This probably qualifies to get additional switches for each location that has an AP connecting to it.

In my case I sent a diagram of the layout.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mitchrichie

Post by mitchrichie »

russellhltn wrote:
mitchrichie wrote:After reviewing the PDF instructions I see that we are supposed to connect all of the building access points directly to the new managed switch. This is a bit of a problem in our older buildings where wifi was added as a retrofit. The current setup has cat5e runs from the current unmanaged switch to the clerk(s) offices where we connect to another smaller unmanaged switch so that we can feed the clerk computer, printer, and wifi access points.
Send an email to mht. This probably qualifies to get additional switches for each location that has an AP connecting to it.

In my case I sent a diagram of the layout.
mht? Sorry not sure who that is haha.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”