Church Webcast options for Apple TV or Roku?

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
rklindquist

Church Webcast options for Apple TV or Roku?

Post by rklindquist »

The Church Webcast system can be used to provide a URL for public live streaming via a browser without needing a member login.

Many members and non-members have Apple TV, Roku or similar set top box systems like Google Cast because they are simple to use.

Is there an app, channel or other way to live stream directly to these devices without AirPlay or other casting via a separate device like an smartphone or laptop?

Does the Latter Day Saints Channel or BYUtv app have a way to add other streams from something like Church Webcast??

Ideas or thoughts?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Church Webcast options for Apple TV or Roku?

Post by Mikerowaved »

The only receiver developed to work with Meetinghouse Webcast (MWC) was the Mi Box S. During beta testing it ran Android TV with a custom app pre-installed by the church. The MWC app has since been released to the Android TV app store (different from the Android Play Store) and is available for public download on devices running Android TV. A receiver running MWC can be "synced" to your stake by the stake STS. It will then show existing and/or upcoming webcasts from your stake and let you select one to view.

At this time, we've heard nothing about developing this capability on other platforms. However, we rarely hear of developments in progress until they hit beta or are ready for release.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The Meetinghouse Webcast App with Android TV was intended to provide an inexpensive receiver for remote meetinghouses during a stake conference. It wasn't really intended for home use, it just wasn't restricted.

As such, i doubt if there's any interest in adding Roku or Apple unless it appears that sacrament streaming is going to be something long-term.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

rklindquist wrote:The Church Webcast system can be used to provide a URL for public live streaming via a browser without needing a member login.
Many members and non-members have Apple TV, Roku or similar set top box systems like Google Cast because they are simple to use. Is there an app, channel or other way to live stream directly to these devices without AirPlay or other casting via a separate device like an smartphone or laptop?
Ideas or thoughts?
I have not tested this, but I believe if you sign up for Vimeo (a paid service) that you can stream to the desired devices. You would need to research this further if it's an important option for your needs.
seanhyte

Post by seanhyte »

As others have stated - you can use the Meetinghouse Webcast app on Android TV devices. You just need to make sure to register the app/device to work with your stake first. Once the device is registered to your stake, then you will be able to see any non-private events listed in the Meetinghouse Webcast app created in your stake. For an event set as a "Private Event", you would need to enter the event code in the app to view the event on the device.

Please see https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/hel ... ebcast-app

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

seanhyte wrote:You just need to make sure to register the app/device to work with your stake first.
Is that required? It helps simplify the public events, but I think you can see anything if you have the event code.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

hicksticks2001

Post by hicksticks2001 »

We bought the Nvidia Shield to test out the Meetinghouse Webcast App. Once you install the app from the Google TV App store, you have to register it with the webcast system using a self-generated registration code.

The App works extremely well, I'm really hoping that the church makes it available in the Google Play Store and the Amazon store for Fire devices (Since both of these decisions wouldn't really require any change to the app itself, just the distribution model).
-Aaron Hixson
Payson Utah Mountain View Stake
aaron@hixsonfamily.net
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

hicksticks2001 wrote:Once you install the app from the Google TV App store, you have to register it with the webcast system using a self-generated registration code.
What happens if you don't?

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

I have a NVIDIA Shield TV, which doesn’t need to be registered with the Church Webcast System. All that is required is the Event Code generated when a Webcast Meeting is scheduled.

As the STS I schedule my wards sacrament meetings, so I obtain the code then. I have made it known that I will supply any member who wishes to use the Meetinghouse webcast app with the code!
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Apologies if this is the wrong topic, but my daughter's ward recently switched from broadcasting over Youtube to broadcasting over the church Webcast system. With Youtube, she could cast the stream from her android phone to their tv so the family could watch. They have been unable to do that with the church Webcast system. Any ideas I can pass to them? I don't believe their TV is an "Android TV" and I know it is not an Apple TV.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”