Larix Broadcaster (Webcast from a cell phone)

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Larix Broadcaster (Webcast from a cell phone)

Post by lajackson »

For the sacrament, the instructions say to tap the red square. I thought this would turn off the video and audio and send a blank stream. In both Android and iOS this evening, tapping the button ended the stream and the Choir started singing until we tapped the button again to continue webcasting.

Is there a setting that determines this?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:
lajackson wrote:This evening we received an email that the encoder target rate exceeded the maximum encode rate (2929:2300) - Please reduce the encode rate on your encoder. We were running Larix on an iOS phone.

What setting did we miss?
I'd look over the document for Broadcast to YouTube from iPhone. Based on the screen shots, Under Settings, Audio/Video Encoding, there's a "Avg Bitrate". Based on the screen shot, the default may be 3000 kbits/sec. I'd suggest knocking it down to 2000. Maybe lower depending on your available upload bandwidth.
Sorry, don't know about iPhones, but the default setting in Larix Broadcaster for video BW on an Android is 2000kb/s. That's been working great for us. As russellhltn pointed out, this is the upper limit. You may have to reduce it further for buildings with limited upload BW.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

lajackson wrote:For the sacrament, the instructions say to tap the red square. I thought this would turn off the video and audio and send a blank stream. In both Android and iOS this evening, tapping the button ended the stream and the Choir started singing until we tapped the button again to continue webcasting.

Is there a setting that determines this?
We have no control over this. Whenever Meetinghouse Webcast is not receiving a valid upload, it sends out a pre-recorded stream to all viewers. Our SP has asked that at the end of sacrament meeting we have a closing hymn, closing prayer, turn off the webcast, then administer the sacrament. The webcast is never restarted.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:For the sacrament, the instructions say to tap the red square. I thought this would turn off the video and audio and send a blank stream. In both Android and iOS this evening, tapping the button ended the stream and the Choir started singing until we tapped the button again to continue webcasting.
Tap verses long press.

Tap = end
Long press = black/muted stream

At least it's that way with the current version on Android.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Mikerowaved wrote:Whenever Meetinghouse Webcast is not receiving a valid upload, it sends out a pre-recorded stream to all viewers.
I knew that. I was trying to figure out how russellhltn blanked and muted his meeting in the feed he let us watch.
russellhltn wrote:Tap verses long press.

Tap = end
Long press = black/muted stream

At least it's that way with the current version on Android.
I have passed the info on to the clerk trying to use the iOS phone. We saw enough other iOS problems that he may try to get his hands on an Android if he goes the phone route.

Thanks, both of you, for your responses.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Checking the Apple App store, that feature was introduced on Sep 20, 2020 in verson 1.0.66. So they should have it.

However, I've been told that iOS will pause the stream anytime something else gets focus. So, you can't do anything such as checking the battery levels once the stream starts.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:However, I've been told that iOS will pause the stream anytime something else gets focus. So, you can't do anything such as checking the battery levels once the stream starts.
I know in the Android version there's a switch available in both the Video and Advanced options settings called Background streaming. The explanation below it says, "Keep streaming when not in focus". I'm wondering if the person who reported the problem of the iPhone stream stopping anytime it lost focus had this switch set.

Can someone with Larix Broadcasting on an iPhone confirm this switch exists on their version and it works as expected?
johnv

Post by johnv »

Has anyone tried or figured out the best method using Larix for the following:

This is what I would like to be able to do, I don't have the parts yet, and don't know if it would even work, but looking to try and willing to purchase a few items if it will work:

1. I would like to add audio from the tape recorder output at the sacrament table to the 3.5mm headphone/mic jack in LG V60 smartphone? i.e. 50' 3.5mm male to male audio cable (does it need the crab box to do this?)

2. I would like to connect to building ethernet via usb c with a usb C to ethernet adapter? (in order to shut off wifi during broadcast)

3. I would like to power the phone simultaneously with the ethernet, but not sure if this is possible and is secondary to ethernet working as my battery should hold for the short length of the meeting?

LG V60 smartphone w/Android 10.

This seems to be the least complicated method to broadcast to a youtube channel and give out a tinyurl for the broadcast and each member can subscribe to the channel and get onto the broadcast very easily each week. This part is working well for us now with laptop, camera, mixer using OBS and youtube live, but it's a complicated setup that I would like others to be able to do easily in case I'm not there, etc.

I just tested Larix a few days ago and it was very simple and easy to use, I just want to have clean audio and hardwire into the building to not have to worry about wifi, cellular connections.

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.

John
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnv wrote:1. I would like to add audio from the tape recorder output at the sacrament table to the 3.5mm headphone/mic jack in LG V60 smartphone? i.e. 50' 3.5mm male to male audio cable (does it need the crab box to do this?)
Yes, there's been a number of posts on that subject. It's not as simple as getting one cable, since the "record out" is line level and the phone will want "mic level" and uses a TRRS connector. I'd start with Getting Audio right with Virtual Sacrament Meeetings.
johnv wrote:2. I would like to connect to building ethernet via usb c with a usb C to ethernet adapter? (in order to shut off wifi during broadcast)

3. I would like to power the phone simultaneously with the ethernet, but not sure if this is possible and is secondary to ethernet working as my battery should hold for the short length of the meeting?
I'd suggest looking at Less Expensive POE Solution for Mevo. I'm not sure if it will work with your phone, but it's worth a try.

justinmcclure

Post by justinmcclure »

Larix added a $10 a month subscription to use the software longer than 30 minutes.

Anyone have alternatives?

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”