Refund from Hospital

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jasonlesser

Refund from Hospital

Post by jasonlesser »

Hello fellow clerks,

I'm a relatively new ward financial secretary . The ward was mailed back a refund from a hospital of $146 for a medical bill totaling $1,122 .00 that was paid via Fast Offerings. I am uncertain on what avenue to deposit the check.

Is the a way to go into the transaction to adjust the expense? When I have tired to correct the amount of the original expense, I am not able to save any adjustments.

Do I put the refund as a fast offering donation from the hospital? But then I worry that it will show as a donation from the hospital rather than a refund.

Thank you,
Jason
eblood66

Re: Refund from Hospital

Post by eblood66 »

You can't change the original transaction except to adjust the category. You can't change the total amount because it must match the original bank transaction.

Process the refund as a donation to fast offering and include a note on the donation slip with the check or expense number of the original transaction. You can make the donor either Anonymous or you can create a donor like 'Refund from Hospital Name'. Either way it should be obvious that no tax statement needs to be sent at the end of the year.
jasonlesser

Re: Refund from Hospital

Post by jasonlesser »

Thank you so much. Very helpful

Return to “Local Unit Finance”