Viewing ward boundaries

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
natecarrier

Viewing ward boundaries

Post by natecarrier »

With the old maps you could see ward boundaries of any ward after logging in. With the new maps I can only figure out how to see my own ward boundaries. Was the feature removed?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Viewing ward boundaries

Post by russellhltn »

If I click on a meetinghouse, I get a list of units meeting there. If I select one, I see the boundaries. But then again, perhaps my calling allows me to see that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I get the same as russellhltn and I do not currently have a calling.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
LentzT

Post by LentzT »

Everyone should be able to see this. I was able to see it for other areas not in my boundaries. You just have to sign in, go to meetinghouse locator, find the address and click on churches around the area. You should see the boundaries and can experiment until you find the one that includes the residence you are thinking of.
emassey

Post by emassey »

I am trying to print the ward boundary so I can enlarge it to use for emergency preparedness and response. Bishopric member told me to go to the Stake. The Stake told me to go back to the Ward and talk to Ward Clerk. Ward Clerk will then call Salt Lake City to make a request and Salt Lake is supposed to send it to the Bishop. The process is supposed to take about a month. Hopefully, the Bishop wont forget to get it to me. If I go to the Maps website under lds tools, I can view the boundary but it also shows the Ward directory to the left side, making the map smaller and not allowing me to print the map as a stand alone item. Should I just wait another year and maybe the technology will be more user friendly for my Emergency Prep calling?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

emassey wrote:I am trying to print the ward boundary so I can enlarge it to use for emergency preparedness and response. Bishopric member told me to go to the Stake. The Stake told me to go back to the Ward and talk to Ward Clerk. Ward Clerk will then call Salt Lake City to make a request and Salt Lake is supposed to send it to the Bishop. The process is supposed to take about a month. Hopefully, the Bishop wont forget to get it to me.
If you just want the map without the members, ask the ward clerk to go into CDOL and download the unit boundaries. it's a bit hidden in the interface. It's in the toolbar area just above the ward's name when viewing the ward in CDOL.

From there, he can download a 36" x 36" PDF that you can take to be printed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Another option is to call support and request a printed boundary map. They charge $5.00 against the ward's budget (at least that was the charge a few years ago) and mail it to the bishop. You can request different document sizes, depending on your needs. Ours did not show all the street names, but enough to serve our purposes (we wanted it to hang in the clerk's office for reference, not for emergency preparedness planning).
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

And of course, the great thing about having the pdf soft copy, is that it's very flexible for mark-up and sharing, as opposed to a single hard copy map. When there was a proposed boundary change in a previous ward I lived in, I used CDOL to generate the ward boundary map, then produced a couple of marked-up variations showing what would happen (temple recommend holders, M.P. holders) if they went thru with the proposed changes. I won't say what happened, but having these maps to look at definitely helped the decision-making...
mtolman5989

Post by mtolman5989 »

jdlessley wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:05 pm I get the same as russellhltn and I do not currently have a calling.
I am not getting the boundaries. I can see the different wards in a location and click on each one but just see the Bishop. My ward and stake boundaries work just fine. Have they cut this functionality out ?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mtolman5989 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:52 am I am not getting the boundaries. I can see the different wards in a location and click on each one but just see the Bishop. My ward and stake boundaries work just fine. Have they cut this functionality out ?
I don't remember what it was like back in 2016, but at this time the Ward Directory and Map seems to be limited to one's own stake.

I'd suggest using the Meetinghouse Locator. Once you enter a location and select a ward or stake, you can see the boundaries there.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”