Xerox VersaLink B405 network block?

Discussions about setup, operation, and maintenance of these devices in meetinghouses other than a FHC
drepouille

Xerox VersaLink B405 network block?

Post by drepouille »

In August 2019, we received a new Xerox VersaLink B405DN Multifunction Printer for the meetinghouse library (now Resource Center). I connected it to a live Ethernet jack, and downloaded the latest software update. I also purchased a Xerox wireless adapter, which worked great for a few weeks. I was able to print from my Android phone to the copier using the Xerox app. I also printed from the clerk's computer to the copier in the library.

Then something changed (before the Liahona network was introduced), and the wireless adapter stopped working for everything. No network connections at all. I ignored it until the Liahona network was introduced, and I had the STS add the MAC address of the wireless adapter to the TM white list. Still nothing.

Today, I connected the copier to a live Ethernet jack again. The wired connection received an IP address (192.168.108.248), and the wireless connection received an IP address. However, when I tried doing a software update, the copier said it could not contact the update server.

The Startup Page that prints each time the copier is powered on says, "802.1X Disabled" even though when I set it up, I chose to use both wired and wireless connections. I even reset the copier to factory defaults today, and nothing got better.

The Error History Report contains the following messages:
- WiFi PACFile URL Not Found Fail
- PACFile URL Not Found Fail
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
drepouille

Re: Xerox VersaLink B405 network block?

Post by drepouille »

support.xerox.com says this about "PACFile URL Not Found Fail":
"This fault can occure if the HTTP proxy is enabled but an HTTP proxy is not being used on the network."

However, I have never turned on any proxy settings or LDAP settings. I made sure of that when I did a factory reset today.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Here is an interesting comment by a user on the Xerox support forum:

"The 029-717 [PACFile URL Not Found Fail] error is due to not having my proxy server settings enabled in the network router.... don't need em, don't use em! The 6515 has the Proxy Server setup ticked to Auto by default so simply logging back into the web interface and turning the proxy server setup "off" solves the issue."
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Perhaps I will double-check the proxy setting the next time I am there.
1. At the printer control panel, press the Home button.
2. Log in to the control panel as the administrator.
3. On the Home screen, touch Device > Connectivity.
4. Touch Proxy.
5. Touch Off to disable the option.
6. Touch Save and log out.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Fixed it!

The printer could not download a software update via Wi-Fi or via a wired connection. I checked the notification log, and searched for the message online. Xerox says that a factory certificate had expired. The only way to obtain a new certificate was to download the latest firmware to a computer, and use it to update the printer firmware directly. That fixed all my connection problems.

Now I can print to the printer over the meetinghouse Wi-Fi from the Gospel Library app on my phone.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Fault Code 016-426: Smart eSolutions Connection Failure
Product support for: VersaLink B400
Article Id: 2025084 | Published: 10/07/2020
This error is caused by a security certificate not being renewed after it has expired on System Software Levels below 37.31.81.
Upgrade your printer to the latest Software General Release.
https://www.support.xerox.com/en-us/article/en/2025084
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Good work!
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
MurdockM

Post by MurdockM »

I too had our "Resource Center" Xerox plugged into the building LAN for a while and could print to it from the Clerks computer.
However, realizing another clerk computer user could unknowingly print confidential information to the publicly available Xerox caused me to unplug it from the building network.

Is there a way to password protect printing to it?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I can't think of any way to password protect a network printer, but I am not a Windows administrator.

Would this subject merit the beginning of a new thread in the forum?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

drepouille wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:50 pm The printer could not download a software update via Wi-Fi or via a wired connection. I checked the notification log, and searched for the message online. Xerox says that a factory certificate had expired. The only way to obtain a new certificate was to download the latest firmware to a computer, and use it to update the printer firmware directly. That fixed all my connection problems.
A new firmware update was released by Xerox last week:
VersaLink B405 Service Pack (PL8-R5)
This release contains the latest updates and features.
Released: 03/11/2024
Version: 38.81.91
https://www.support.xerox.com/en-us/pro ... /downloads

And once again, when a firmware update is available, and the printer tries to download it, you get the message, "Cannot Connect" on the printer screen. So you have to download the firmware to a computer that is connected to the Liahona network, then open a browser page to the printer's IP address (http://192.168.xxx.xxx), login as Admin, and manually select the firmware *.bin file, and process the update. It takes 10-15 minutes to upload the *.bin file to the printer, and wait for the printer to update itself to 38.81.91. After a few reboots, the printer spits out a page that confirms the currently installed firmware versions.

Return to “Printers, Copiers, and Multi-Function Devices”