Issues with nonmember spouse records added by "Add Spouse to Household" link

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jwtaber

Post by jwtaber »

lajackson wrote:I have never had this problem. Occasionally, I have had trouble with the pick list and names not showing up that should, especially with sisters, but have always been able to resolve this in the past. I have not tried one in the latest (2.9.1) version of MLS.
Interesting - one of my ward clerks (I'm stake membership clerk) has added local records for most of his non-member spouses, and now neither spouse appears in MLS, at least at the stake level. Anyone recognize this problem, or know how to fix it?
AdamE-p40

Issues with part-member families

Post by AdamE-p40 »

I recently got this report from on of our clerks:

Every so often (this time was only 3 weeks between occurrences), some portion of the part-member families gets corrupted. In the ward MLS, they usually see the member become a child of the non-member. In the stake MLS, we usually see the two become separate families, each with their own Head of Household (HofH) ID. We can't seem to find a pattern as to who gets corrupted when it happens. This also happened in another ward last year but I haven't heard any complaints from them since. To "solve" the immediate problem, the clerk removes the non-member as the HofH, makes the member the HofH, and then reattaches the non-member spousal record. Last year, this didn't solve the problem at the stake level and the stake clerk had to edit my data manually.

Any ideas of what is going on here?

RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

AdamE wrote:Every so often (this time was only 3 weeks between occurrences), some portion of the part-member families gets corrupted. In the ward MLS, they usually see the member become a child of the non-member.... To "solve" the immediate problem, the clerk removes the non-member as the HofH, makes the member the HofH, and then reattaches the non-member spousal record. Last year, this didn't solve the problem at the stake level and the stake clerk had to edit my data manually.

Any ideas of what is going on here?

We have at least one occurance of this problem in our ward MLS. If this is or is not the recommended fix, we would like to know, too.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

AdamE wrote:Any ideas of what is going on here?
Others have reported similar things. It seems to be a bug. No word on when it will be fixed or how to avoid it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

AdamE wrote:Every so often (this time was only 3 weeks between occurrences), some portion of the part-member families gets corrupted. . . . Last year, this didn't solve the problem at the stake level and the stake clerk had to edit my data manually.
The stake clerk cannot edit membership data. Did he come to your ward and help you edit the data on your ward computer? That would make more sense.

And as Russell said, the part-member spouse problem is a known bug in MLS.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:The stake clerk cannot edit membership data. Did he come to your ward and help you edit the data on your ward computer? That would make more sense.

And as Russell said, the part-member spouse problem is a known bug in MLS.

Actually, there is this one odd way in which a stake clerk can "edit" membership records. It doesn't actually modify the actual membership record at CHQ, but it most definitely does affect the way records are combined into households in stake MLS.

In stake MLS, the clerk can add a spouse to a household, which applies to the situation of a member having a nonmember spouse. If the nonmember spouse is the husband, he then becomes the head of household on the stake records.

I've always thought it strange that this could be done at the stake level, but perhaps it was included in MLS because of the quirks in transmitting household data for part-member families from the ward to the stake.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:I've always thought it strange that this could be done at the stake level, but perhaps it was included in MLS because of the quirks in transmitting household data for part-member families from the ward to the stake.
How fascinating. I had never noticed that before. I would suspect rather that it is a link the developers forgot to deactivate in the stake version of MLS. The help file says the stake cannot do it.

The other challenge is that you would have to do it at the stake each month as the new ward downloads showed up. I would always be forgetting to do that. [grin]
greggo

Post by greggo »

I'm curious. Is this bug with nonmember spouses only if the spouse is male and therefore is made the H of H?

I'm wondering if the problem would possibly go away if MLS only allowed members to be the H of H (which is the way I would prefer it - or at least allow the option to have a female member with a nonmember spouse be the H of H).
geek

Post by geek »

Keep in mind that if both parents are not members (i.e., only the children are members), then the head-of-household MUST be one of the children (as opposed to one of the parents).

So the rule that the male spouse must be the HOH only works as long as one parent is a member.

Question: Is there an assumption in the Church at large that the husband is the HOH, even if he isn't a member? If so, then LUWS should be changed...
Former membership clerk under 3 bishops, now on 2nd stint as executive secretary. Can I go back to teaching priesthood now?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

geek wrote:Question: Is there an assumption in the Church at large that the husband is the HOH, even if he isn't a member? If so, then LUWS should be changed...
Doesn't LUWS just reflect whoever is head of household in MLS, member or not?

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”