Building a cable from sound system to "mic in"

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
kenaycock

Re: Building a cable from sound system to "mic in"

Post by kenaycock »

Any updates on this headset buddy line level to mic level adapter shared earlier in the thread?
https://www.amazon.com/Headset-Buddy-Li ... 00OAW85ZG/

On a whim, I tried plugging line level directly in to the mic input on my lappy. Much less complicated than plugging into the TRRS jack on a phone. Without attenuation, the distortion is... lovely.

This also looks like a possibility:
https://www.amazon.com/Movo-MV-RC300-Mi ... 073HR6SY4/
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If you're using a laptop, I'd recommend the Sabrent USB External Stereo Sound Adapter for Windows and Mac.. That and a plain old 3.5mm stereo cable will work fine. It avoids a whole bunch of ifs, ands, buts, and maybes.

But before placing the order, dig into the hardware settings in the control panel. You find find a "mic boost" setting. If so, set it to 0dB and try again.

At $8, it's also one of the cheapest options.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I tried the Headset Buddy cable, but found it had too much attenuation for the phones we were using. I'm working on a custom L-pad that will bring the level approximately up to that of the Tabernacle Choir when they come on, but still have a reasonable source impedance for the phone. I'll let you know what I come up.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

russellhltn wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:11 pm
idjeeper2 wrote:This project met a quick end. I went to the meetinghouse last evening and discovered we don’t have a record out plug.
Yeah, that doesn't go well.

The plug can be hidden. I've found them inside the podium, as well as inside a cabinet near the "clerk's desk" on the stand.
I still haven't found one in our building. We don't even seem to have an ALS system that I can tap into.
Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

What model amplifier and preamp/mixer do you have fitted?

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”