LCR Send Message Link Feature

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
bschroader

LCR Send Message Link Feature

Post by bschroader »

Lately, I've been having the embarrassing experience of E-Mailing our ward information about how to join Zoom meetings, and end up getting https://lcr.churchofjesuschrist.org appended to the beginning of my urls so when members click on the link, it's bad link.

I've discovered this would occur whenever I would cut and paste from past E-Mails, but even today when I typed in the link in the URL field and Text to Display field, it appended the afore mentioned LCR URL at the beginning of my URL in the actual E-Mail. Attaching an example of what URL it produces.

One thing I would love is a means of testing out E-Mails like this before sending to the masses.
Attachments
Example.png
(58.99 KiB) Not downloaded yet
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: LCR Send Message Link Feature

Post by jdlessley »

I tested your URL in Send a Message using both just the URL inserted as text as well as using the Insert/edit link feature. The raw URL did not come across as a clickable link. I did not see the church web address prepended. The URL inserted using Insert/edit link came across as clickable but it had the prepended church URL in the received message as well as in the prepared message when I copied the URL using "copy link location".

I recommend not using the URL shortening service but rather use the full URL entered as text or inserted in the message using the Insert/edit link feature. I am guessing Send a Message assumes the shortened and 'strange' URL is not complete and 'fixes' it for you.

I tested copying and pasting the shortened URL text into my browser and that worked fine.

You can test your messages in Send a Message by only sending it to yourself first and seeing what comes through before sending it to the ward.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I added my event details to a ward calendar event, and had it send out a reminder notification message 1 day prior. The message was formatted OK. I know this is not Send a Message, though.

Event name: Sacrament Meeting PLUS SS or RS
Event description: Google Meet link:
https://meet.google.com/xxx-xxxx-xxx
Phone Number 999-999-9999‬
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
bschroader

Post by bschroader »

I tested the theory of whether or not the short URL was affecting the results. Turned out to be true. It didn't like me using the shortened URL in the URL field. I'll know to avoid doing that in the future.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bschroader wrote:I tested the theory of whether or not the short URL was affecting the results. Turned out to be true. It didn't like me using the shortened URL in the URL field. I'll know to avoid doing that in the future.
I think you just need to find a shortener that uses a more conventional top-level domain (for example, .com .org .net) and not something strange like .ly which is for the country Libya.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
shawndowler

Post by shawndowler »

Has there been any update on this? I have a bishop in my stake who just informed me that messages he sends with YouTube links and Zoom links do not work. These are links to services that are used officially by the Church, but they are also redirecting people to the LCR landing page. I checked the format of the links and they are complete, working links including https:// at the beginning. This is the primary way announcements are communicated to the ward. This feature needs to work for people to be able to participate. Some users would not know how to copy and paste text into a URL bar manually.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”