Default Map App supporting Member Tools

Discussions around the Android version of the Member Tools application
johnmmoore

Default Map App supporting Member Tools

Post by johnmmoore »

When my wife taps a members address anywhere within the Member Tools app, it automatically opens the Uber (passenger) app instead of the Google Map app. I honestly believe she went too fast one time and associated Uber as the map app instead of Google Maps as the default map app. How do we reverse this?

We've uninstalled both apps and reinstalled. We've cleared the data on the Tools app and still it opens the Uber passenger app when tapping on an address. We even went into Settings-->Apps and chose Google Maps as the default map app. When she uses a voice command to "Navigate to... [address here]" it opens with Google Maps. Because of that, we're thinking the Member Tools app has associated the Uber app for map purposes and it's not using the phone default map app.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
John
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Default Map App supporting Member Tools

Post by sbradshaw »

You could try going to App Info screen for Uber (on my Android phone, I can long-press the app icon and choose "App Info" – but it might vary on different devices). From there, tap "Set as default," then tap "Clear defaults." Also, scroll down a bit, tap "Go to supported URLs," then tap "Always ask." I think that will reset things, so that the next time you tap an address in Member Tools, it will ask which app she wants to use. That said, I'm surprised that it stuck even after deleting and reinstalling the apps, so I wonder if it's something else.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
drb5

Post by drb5 »

Just as a point of reference, I know for sure that Uber is not my default app for navigation, but Member Tools always chooses it if it is installed. I checked my defaults and also uninstalled Uber, then reinstalled it. Uber is always used for directions from Member Tools if it is installed.

I have use the Member Tools for directions in the past, although much less this year, and I would guess it changed in a recent update. It seems pretty recent, anyway. Luckily I don't often use Uber, so I can live without it for now.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

drb5 wrote:Just as a point of reference, I know for sure that Uber is not my default app for navigation, but Member Tools always chooses it if it is installed. I checked my defaults and also uninstalled Uber, then reinstalled it. Uber is always used for directions from Member Tools if it is installed.

I have use the Member Tools for directions in the past, although much less this year, and I would guess it changed in a recent update. It seems pretty recent, anyway. Luckily I don't often use Uber, so I can live without it for now.
I don't use Uber, but in a Google search, it appears that the default must be changed back in 2 places on Android: The Uber app needs to be set to NOT be the default map and the Android OS needs to have the map reset to system default. Perhaps both changes are not made by uninstalling and reinstalling the Uber app. If this isn't the problem, I recommend giving feedback from within the Member Tools app which will provide information related to your installation for the developers to research what is going on.

Return to “Android Member Tools App”