FHC computer update timeline

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
scottb4857

FHC computer update timeline

Post by scottb4857 »

Hopefully a simple question - does anyone know the time frame for the rollout of Windows 10 Pro to all the FHC computers? Message was sent to have them on and idle starting Sunday the 6th. It's now Wednesday, none of the 12 computers at 3 different FHC's have updated, and getting FHC directors and Missionaries who have been using the computers wondering when they will be available again.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: FHC computer update timeline

Post by russellhltn »

When I checked on mine last night, 3 of the 5 were running Windows 10.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I did log the computers out so they were at a login screen. (Ours are set to auto-boot into "Patron".) I thought that perhaps being logged in would prevent the updates since it's harder to determine if the machine is in active use if it's logged in.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rscorse47

Post by rscorse47 »

So far, I have had 3 of the 4 dell 9030 pcs in our stake center FHC, do the Windows 10 update, to version 1909. Last month I changed out 3 computers to new Dell all-in-one 7480s. They are running Windows 10 Version 20H2; haven't heard of that one before . . . .
Haven't checked on another FHC in Woodruff to see how their Dell 7440s are doing.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rscorse47 wrote:They are running Windows 10 Version 20H2; haven't heard of that one before . . . .
Yeah, Microsoft changed their numbering. Apparently they're having a hard time hitting their target month (2002 is 04/2020), so instead they went to H1 and H2. 2004 would be "H1" under the new numbering system. 20H2 would have been something like 2011 under the old system (which sounds like a 9 year old version).

As for the subject, I didn't check last night, but on Wednesday, 4 of the 5 had upgraded. The remaining one had a popup up with an error when I logged in, so apparently it attempted to upgrade. I rebooted it and let it set.

Something else I forgot to mention was to set the power setting so they never go to sleep or hibernate. Sleep is easy to find, but hibernate is really buried deep. Control Panel > Power Options > On the line of the selected plan, click on "Change plan settings" > Change advanced power settings > Under "Sleep", check "Sleep after" and "Hibernate after". Set both to "0" (Never).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rscorse47

Post by rscorse47 »

So now that 8-10 days have gone by, and still some of the computers have not updated, what is our next step or option to finalize the remaining PCs??
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

There's probably something going on with the remaining ones.

First, are they a model covered by this upgrade?

In my case, I had one computer that wouldn't update. Apparently, it was updating but failed to migrate the user data so it rolled back. It turned out there was a problem with the user accounts. I had to delete a registry entry that was a duplicate pointer for the Admin account.

I'd start by logging into that computer and see if any error message pops out. I'd also check the windows logs.

rscorse47

Post by rscorse47 »

Well, I had a conversation with the tech people regarding one pc not activating windows. They sent down a Windows 10 activation script, which worked wonderfully. As a side note, I did have to make a Windows 10 upgrade flash drive that will be used on the remaining computers. Does take some time to do, but runs mostly with little input from me just having to key in the center's unit number and email address.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The nice thing about the pushed updates is it seems to keep the configuration I had intact. The image indicates it will wipe all information.

I did find a script in "Big Fix" that I was able to run when I resolved the user linking issue. That kicked things off while I was right there.

rscorse47

Post by rscorse47 »

Well, this morning, I tried to use the USB-FHC-10 flash drive to load the upgrade. Got the initial files loaded just fine, but when it went to reboot and continue loading the rest of the programs, gave me a wonderful error message: "No boot filename received" followed by "No boot device found. Press any key to reboot the machine". This keeps cycling through trying to start, but ending up with the same messages. Even tried to make another windows 10 image flash drive, but same results. Guess a phone call will be my next option. I did make a clone image of a similar machine, so easy to redo back to the Win 7 version.
rscorse47

Post by rscorse47 »

You might look at the similiar topic about FHC computers, especially the 9030's and manually doing the Windows 10 upgrade.
viewtopic.php?f=144&t=38190

Return to “Family History Centers”