Voided Check

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
eblood66

Re: Voided Check

Post by eblood66 »

losjense wrote:Does anyone know how to "unvoid" a check mistakenly voided in LCR or is this a SLC issue?
You can call SLC and see if they can reverse it. But if the bank has already been informed you'll probably just have to reissue the check.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

losjense wrote:Does anyone know how to "unvoid" a check mistakenly voided in LCR or is this a SLC issue?
Was the check printed before it was voided? If so, then follow the process described in the Help center article Voiding a Check. That article describes the process when using MLS but similar procedures apply for LCR.

If the check wast not printed then the expense can be canceled, or rejected, to edit the transaction or to start over.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
wadegarretmathews

Post by wadegarretmathews »

Hi. While waiting to finalize an expense reimbursement and print a check, I accidentally printed a finance report onto the check blank that I had put into the paper tray in preparation of completing the reimbursement. Then when finally printing the reimbursement check I advanced the check number by one, due to the previously spoiled check blank. How do I void that spoiled check blank in the finance system? The specific check number was never recorded as being used because I advanced the reimbursement to the next unspoiled check number. Thank you in advance for your guidance.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

It has been over a year since I was ward clerk, but I think you don't "void" the spoiled check number in the computer - you need to specify the next check number when printing again (it should default to the wrong number when you are entering the information and you simply enter the correct number from your good check stock before hitting the Print button). That will match things back up on the computer. You should save the spoiled check with your files for the next audit. We would write "void" across the page, tear off the bank information at the bottom and shred that, and then file the spoiled check in numerical order with the reimbursement documents.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

davesudweeks wrote:It has been over a year since I was ward clerk, but I think you don't "void" the spoiled check number in the computer - you need to specify the next check number when printing again (it should default to the wrong number when you are entering the information and you simply enter the correct number from your good check stock before hitting the Print button). That will match things back up on the computer. You should save the spoiled check with your files for the next audit. We would write "void" across the page, tear off the bank information at the bottom and shred that, and then file the spoiled check in numerical order with the reimbursement documents.
That is correct. You don't have to void the unused check number. Just make sure future checks get printed with the correct number. However, as for the check itself the instructions are to cut out just the signature portion of the check and discard it. The reset of the check should be retained in the records as indicated. See this Help Center page: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/hel ... s?lang=eng

Return to “Local Unit Finance”