Simulcast Stake Conference

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
Jacobdaviddean

Re: Simulcast Stake Conference

Post by Jacobdaviddean »

A reason I prefer YouTube is it's easier for less technical people to view the streams on their TV with by using a Roku, AppleTV, etc and not needing to hook up a laptop.

But I agree, the redundancy is important as I've had issues with the church system more regularly, but I've also had random issues with YouTube (even today).
powalker

Post by powalker »

How about 4 streams at once if needed...

We were using the Teredek encoder to broadcast to the church system and it was riddled with problems so much so, that we thought it was our internet. We had been using the Teredek for the last 2 years and it was never that great. It finally got so bad that I had to jack the encode rate down to 700kbps to even have a broadcast that didn't stutter and drop frames too much. I was ready to buy another Teredek but did not want to because they are so expensive when I read on this forum where someone recommended a different encoder for much less than the Teredek ($228) and it is amazing!!! You can even get the $188 version. We bought another one as backup now.
We now broadcast at 2400 without any issues and those on the receiving end have been getting a much better experience.

With all that said, This same encoder will broadcast 4 streams at the same time. We currently broadcast 2, one over YouTube and one over the church system for redundancy. Though I prefer to use the church system, for right now, it is good to have options as some viewer's mobile devices do better with the YouTube app.

The encoder that has worked so well for us is the:

URayCoder HEVC H.265 MPEG4 H.264
(https://www.amazon.com/URayTech-Protoco ... 919&sr=8-5)

If anyone has any questions, I'll be glad to elaborate on our setup. It has made a night and day difference. And before anyone recommends that we didn't have the Teredek setup properly; I assure you, we had tried every setting possible. I even had the head guy from church headquarters trying to make it work when we had a regional conference and it failed miserably. What a horrible experience that was. The second I switched to this new encoder...flawless. Smooth and triple the encode rate. Can't say enough. We have used it now broadcast 3 sacrament meetings each Sunday for the last several months without issue.

Patrick Walker
Billings Montana East stake
powlds69@gmail.com
torriem

Post by torriem »

Thanks for posting about that device. I wish I'd seen it a few weeks ago! I bought a bunch of similar-priced encoders for our wards, but this one would have been better.

After the church Webcast system completely failed for us on Sunday for a special stake-wide broadcast with the local Area Authority, our Stake presidency has zero confidence in the Church webcast system now, so we'll be simulcasting to Youtube from here on out for any Stake meeting. On this particularly disaster, everything went fine until the opening prayer when the "media server" icon started blinking red on the webcast dashboard, and all viewers reported video stuck. the RTMP feed itself seemed fine.

We ended up recording it on a cell phone and posting it to youtube after the fact. The system has worked fine for weeks, and for all the ward broadcasts that morning so I didn't even think about simulcasting to youtube for this. Lesson learned, though. I might even want to find a way to use zoom as a third backup system.
thawkins3

Post by thawkins3 »

What kind of problems did you encounter with the Teradek?

We’ve had a good experience using Webcast 3.0 and the Teradek, Once we corrected the contractor’s errors installing the Teradek and after we tested our broadcast solution 12 times over a six week period!
(Trying to transmit an HDMI movie using HDMI In on the A/V Rack threw us for a loop (green screen). We Had to go from computer HDMI Out through a VGA converter and use the A/V Rack’s VGA In in order to broadcast the film clip. I know the AV rack has an encoder and the HDMI input must be conflicting with the encoding or creating a problem that the Teradeck doesn’t like.)

We have not tried a YouTube broadcast solution because we need church A/V support, if something goes down during stake conference.

I was asked last night if we could have recorded our local stake priesthood leadership session we broadcasted. I’m not aware of that being an option using webcast. Anyone know for sure?

#THAWK
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thawkins3 wrote:Trying to transmit an HDMI movie using HDMI In on the A/V Rack threw us for a loop (green screen). We Had to go from computer HDMI Out through a VGA converter and use the A/V Rack’s VGA In in order to broadcast the film clip. I know the AV rack has an encoder and the HDMI input must be conflicting with the encoding or creating a problem that the Teradeck doesn’t like.
Most likely you were running into a copy protection issue. Your string of converters stripped off the copy protection. To do a good test, I'd suggest going from your camera. You can point the camera at a TV if you need "action".
thawkins3 wrote:We have not tried a YouTube broadcast solution because we need church A/V support, if something goes down during stake conference.
I'm not sure how much help they'd be. I think you'll find a number of people here who have moved to YouTube because it works and the church webcast system has let them down.

thawkins3 wrote:I was asked last night if we could have recorded our local stake priesthood leadership session we broadcasted. I’m not aware of that being an option using webcast. Anyone know for sure?
There's no option for that, but if you have the event code, there's frequently something you can view for a short time afterwards - perhaps a week.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
thawkins3

Post by thawkins3 »

Thanks, Russ.

I read how copy protection could cause the green screen on the forum and we tried different sources, some which I am sure were not copy protected, And we always received the same result. I will try your test.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thawkins3 wrote:I read how copy protection could cause the green screen on the forum and we tried different sources, some which I am sure were not copy protected, And we always received the same result. I will try your test.
I'm not entirely sure how the system works. The copy protection might be applied by the device and not necessary by the media played. In other words, the HDMI output of the DVD play may be copy protected regardless of the disc used.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”