Incorrect Check Number Entered

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
razor7

Incorrect Check Number Entered

Postby razor7 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:05 am

Hello--

I had to void a check due to the orientation in the printer being wrong. :oops: I indicated on the next pop-up window that the check did not print correctly and that the stock was no longer usable--wrote void on the check etc.

For the next attempt, I failed to enter in the correct check number in sequence, :oops: so now the pre-printed check number and the printed check numbers don't match. Is the check still good to be cashed by the recipient. If not, what is the correct process?

Thank you,

Stephen

davesudweeks

Re: Incorrect Check Number Entered

Postby davesudweeks » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:30 pm

You should void the 2nd check and re-print it again. I have done it myself in the past and it is a bit frustrating, but don't worry about it. I don't know if it is still true, but back when I was ward clerk, having the printed check number match the pre-printed check number was an audit question and would result in an audit exception if they did not match. There is no audit issue with voiding a spoiled check and printing it again as long as the spoiled check is properly voided. (note: corrected my wording on this sentence to fix my intent).

eblood66

Postby eblood66 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:33 pm

Note also that you should cut out (and destroy) the signature section of the voided/spoiled checks and retain the rest of them in your records.

razor7

Postby razor7 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:50 pm

Thank you.

Do you know if there's a way to go into the records and correct the check number once a check is printed?

eblood66

Postby eblood66 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:16 pm

No there is not.

scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Postby scgallafent » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:56 am

Void and reissue the check.

If the check numbers don't match, the check will not clear due to positive pay verification. If the member deposits the check, it will eventually be returned, which would result in the money being taken back out of the member's account (potential for overdrafts) and a possible charge for depositing an item that was later returned.

razor7

Postby razor7 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:31 am

scgallafent wrote:Void and reissue the check.

If the check numbers don't match, the check will not clear due to positive pay verification. If the member deposits the check, it will eventually be returned, which would result in the money being taken back out of the member's account (potential for overdrafts) and a possible charge for depositing an item that was later returned.

Ouch! Thanks!

Return to “Local Unit Finance”