Alternative hosts

Using Google Meet, Zoom, etc.)
ulupoi

Alternative hosts

Post by ulupoi »

How do you add "Alternative Hosts" to a Zoom meeting. When I try to do so, I get this error:

"<email address> is not a user in your Zoom account."

However, I can't find any way to add a user to our Church-sponsored Zoom account. According to instructions online, I can do this by going to "User Management" by going to the "User" section under "Admin." However, I can find neither an "Admin" section nor a "User" section in our Church-sponsored Zoom account page, when logged in online.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Alternative hosts

Post by russellhltn »

ulupoi wrote:How do you add "Alternative Hosts" to a Zoom meeting.
Because of how our accounts are setup, I don't think you can.

But you can share the "host key". There's some meeting settings you have to set to allow the person to join the meeting and use the host key to get host rights.

You can always grant someone host rights during a meeting.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

Thank you. That was very helpful.

For anyone reading this, be aware that you can only claim host if no other participants are already hosts. Log into the meeting and click on Participants. At the bottom of the Participants window, Claim Host is one of the options. Use the Host Key from the Zoom Profile page.

The problem with this method is that in order to use it, you have to set the meeting option to "Allow participants to join anytime." This means that you no longer have a waiting room (you no longer have control over who is allowed to join the meeting).
wheelhom

Post by wheelhom »

"Ulupoi wrote: The problem with this method is that in order to use it, you have to set the meeting option to "Allow participants to join anytime." This means that you no longer have a waiting room (you no longer have control over who is allowed to join the meeting).

The designated individual can get in early, claim host and then set up the waiting room and any other settings desired after that. It doesn't matter if folks are in the meeting space before a host is present. If folks are already in there, invite them to leave and come right back in to the waiting room that was just set up after claiming the host role.

Additionally, the account user will be a host by default if they login with those credentials regardless of who has claimed the host role. This allows them ultimate control of the account use.

Return to “Interactive Virtual Meetings”