Audit Exception 19 There is a balance in AMFA

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Android29

Audit Exception 19 There is a balance in AMFA

Post by Android29 »

I am a member of the High Council performing a Financial Audit on one of our wards.
We received an automated exception:
--------------
19. One or more of the unit subcategories includes funds that either are not identified for a specific purpose or are identified for an inappropriate purpose.

There is a balance in the Authorized Member-Financed Activities subcategory. This balance means that some funds have not been properly assigned to a specific activity or purpose.

The corrective action should (1) find the source of the funds and (2) eliminate the balance by either correcting the original donations or correcting the payments that were assigned to this subcategory by mistake.
------------
We eventually found the AMFA under LCR > Overview > Income and Expense Summary Income and Expense Details and select Other - Authorized Member-Financed Activities.

There is a small balance in the AMFA but neither myself, the Ward Clerk or Bishopric members do not know how to clear this out or if this is even the cause of the exception.

Are we in the right ballpark? Any ideas what I can tell the Finance Clerk to do to clear this?

I see the corrective action should be (1) find the source of the funds and (2) eliminate the balance by either correcting the original donations or correcting the payments that were assigned to this subcategory by mistake. But, this doesn't tell any of us what to actually do.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Audit Exception 19 There is a balance in AMFA

Post by jonesrk »

It's been I few years since I was involved in the finances, but back then the interest would get credited to that top level account. I believe what we used to do was transfer it to one of the child categories. If you can categorize it that would likely be a better option than transferring.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

To elaborate what jonesrk said, I think the issue is that there's a balance at the top of AMFA, which by definition isn't associated with any specific activity. If you move that to a sub-category, now it's assigned to an activity.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Android29

Post by Android29 »

Thanks for your quick replies and advice jonesrk & russellhtn. Very helpful.
I'll have the Finance Clerk, categorize the balance so, it's in the proper location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”