Simultaneous hosting of Zoom meetings

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
bryce@buchanan6.com

Simultaneous hosting of Zoom meetings

Post by bryce@buchanan6.com »

One of the advantages that was promoted in converting to church-sponsored Zoom accounts was the ability to host two simultaneous meetings, each with breakout rooms. Is this working for you? I understand that the desktop client can only run one meeting at a time, but I thought I would be able to run Zoom on two different devices and host two meetings simultaneously. What I have found is that logging on to the second device always kicks me out of the first device and ends the first meeting. The only workaround I have been able to use is to transfer hosting of the first meeting to another zoom account (in this case, using my personal account) and then starting the second meeting using the church account. When I do this, I can go into the Zoom web interface and see that both meetings are running. This is sub-optimal and definitely not what was advertised when we were asked to switch.

By way of background, I spent an hour with Zoom support who told me that simultaneous hosting was a new feature and that it was not enabled on my church sponsored account. Is this a feature that a STS can enable?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Simultaneous hosting of Zoom meetings

Post by russellhltn »

bryce@buchanan6.com wrote:Is this a feature that a STS can enable?
No. The STS has no options other then getting the account.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by barkeraj »

I ran into this as well. I tried to start a meeting and it told me it would cancel the other meeting. Would love to know if there is something to fix, or if the two meetings at once is inaccurate and to get the word out about how to schedule.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

As I understand from other threads related to this topic that two meetings can be run simultaneously but requires the first meeting to be handed off to another host before starting the second meeting. I guess that means the same person cannot host two meetings at once but the account can host two meetings at once.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
RichardsJE

Post by RichardsJE »

Another rough workaround I've found is by installing the Zoom Rooms app. It seems to work differently when logging into an account which allows you to start a meeting/webinar on zoom app and someone else start a meeting/webinar on the zoom rooms app or vice versa simultaneously from the same account. I've even managed to start 2 meetings on 1 machine using the same webcam with little overhead - most would never need to do that though.
The zoom rooms app is quite basic though since it's designed to be standalone and operated via an app but maybe sufficient for most meetings.
One thing to note - when installing the app, untick all the changes it wants to make to the OS, unless you're happy for it to make them that is.
natet

Post by natet »

jdlessley wrote:As I understand from other threads related to this topic that two meetings can be run simultaneously but requires the first meeting to be handed off to another host before starting the second meeting. I guess that means the same person cannot host two meetings at once but the account can host two meetings at once.
One caveat to that, at least in my experience, is that you can't run a webinar and a regular meeting simultaneously.
RichardsJE

Post by RichardsJE »

natet wrote:
jdlessley wrote:As I understand from other threads related to this topic that two meetings can be run simultaneously but requires the first meeting to be handed off to another host before starting the second meeting. I guess that means the same person cannot host two meetings at once but the account can host two meetings at once.
One caveat to that, at least in my experience, is that you can't run a webinar and a regular meeting simultaneously.
Ah yes you're right. I thought I tested webinar & meeting concurrencies but this workaround only seems to work for 2 simultaneous meetings.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”