IP based Stake Conference solution

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
jviola

Re: IP based Stake Conference solution

Post by jviola »

CalS201 - Thank you for the Replay. That is an interesting approach. It sounds like you figured out how to streamline your broadcast. You have given me some good advice which has given me another approach. I have Follow-up questions.

1. I have 1 Ethernet Cable available. The other has the connector removed and we are using the wires to control the PTZ cameras using RS232. I don't plan on doing the same with the new Cameras. I plan on using the 1 Ethernet cable to connect the cable to our network. I believe I can use the network connections for POE, PTZ, and IP camera if I only need to broadcast something. Will a single Ethernet cable provide those 3 functions? I will need a POE Switch, a IP PTZ controller or I think OBS can take care of PTZ controlling for me with the PTZOptics addon.
2. I will purchase RG6 to SDI connectors to connect the RG6 cable to the back of the camera. On the other end, I will convert SDI to HDMI with the part you referenced above.
3. I will connect my 3 cameras into an ATEM Mini Pro.
4. The ATEM Mini Pro USB-C to the computer.
5. So you think the PTZOptics camera with 20x is fine for close-up chapel distance? We also have a center camera that is in the Gym or about 10 feet beyond the Stake Center center curtains to get to the gym. Plus, we might purchase a 4th camera that would mount behind the speaker and show the congregation in the chapel and the gym.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

jviola - How to get realtime video for in-house distribution was your original question/concern at the beginning of this thread. You are partially there by using SDI to get video from the camera to the Switcher - but your selected ATEM MiniPro Switcher doesn't have any output for getting real-time HD video to the projector in chapel, two projectors in overflow, and TVs in RS & Primary room.

The ATEM MiniPro has just ONE HDMI output and can be used for "Preview" or "Program" but you have to choose just ONE. In your case, you need to use the output for "Preview". Consequently, you need to use a different Switcher that has two HDMI outputs - one for Preview and one for Program. The Roland V-1HDPlus or the ATEM Mini Extreme ($995 & just announcement in Feb) have two HDMI outputs.

Furthermore, the "Program" output will need to connect to a HDMI 1X8 Splitter - the splitter's outputs then connect to your 3 projectors (using SDI adapters over existing coax or using HdBaseT over CAT5e/6) and a HDMI to Composite converter through the existing bldg RF distribution system to get to RS/Primary rooms. The remaining Splitter outputs can be used for the VidiU encoder, confidence monitor, or Recorder(OBS).

If you select the ATEM MiniExtreme you won't need the VidiU (except as a backup) or a computer because the ATEM has a built-in RTMP streaming engine.
jviola

Post by jviola »

I've been reading and watching videos on NDI. If we use NDI cameras (encode), and we use the plug-in for OBS to decode. Can we use something like this https://www.amazon.com/Extender-Splitte ... r=1-3&th=1 to send the video and audio back out to the building? Or will there be too much latency and we would have to use some NDI encoder/decoder to connect to TVs and projectors?

So will NDI to OBS and HDMI over Ethernet to Monitors/Projectors work or will that cause too much latency. I am also thinking we can forgo the ATEM and just use OBS on the computer. Thoughts?
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

jviola wrote: Can we use something like this https://www.amazon.com/Extender-Splitte ... r=1-3&th=1 to send the video and audio back out to the building? Or will there be too much latency and we would have to use some NDI encoder/decoder to connect to TVs and projectors?
The HDMI Extenders you mentioned are probably real-time, but they only work UP TO 132ft! Additionally, the adapters do not operate over a network connection - they operate over dedicated CAT5/6 cables and are likely a "manufacturer-specific" solution which means you may be "up the creek" if something stops working in the future.
jviola wrote: So will NDI to OBS and HDMI over Ethernet to Monitors/Projectors work or will that cause too much latency. I am also thinking we can forgo the ATEM and just use OBS on the computer. Thoughts?
Video transmission over a network, even when using NDI (a $300 camera option), will ALWAYS have latency. If you have a dedicated LAN that is "tuned" properly then NDI can operate at lower latency by using less video compression and using more network bandwidth - like over 100mbps bitrate per camera. I would NOT call the chapel network a dedicated, tuned network!

Processing video through a laptop w/OBS will ALWAYS have latency.

If your goal is to use projectors in the chapel and cultural hall and have the video in sync with the audio then HdBaseT, SDI, FiberOptic, some wireless setups, long HDMI cables and some HDMI extenders are the ONLY ways to "transmit" realtime HD video. The Church has settled on the industry standard HdBaseT for new and upgraded bldgs - You should consider this when doing your own upgrade so the Church FM group can provide support in the future!

Hardware-based video switchers like the Roland V-1HDPlus or ATEM Mini-Extreme can "process" the HD video in near-realtime.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Something you may want to consider is splitting a camera output to feed the projectors in the room. They won't get switched video, but that should solve the latency problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”