New accounts for clerk computer

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
balotabj

Re: New accounts for clerk computer

Post by balotabj »

russellhltn wrote:I'd suggest giving feedback on that page.
The page does not have a comments section. Will just send an email to GSD to suggest an edit.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BALOTABJ wrote:The page does not have a comments section.
No, but as part of the standard footer, there is a feedback link.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
wcovey

Post by wcovey »

craiggsmith wrote:Have you tried just hitting enter? I have found that often to be the solution.

When I did one recently the admin account didn't have a password and never did. The unit account password was assigned by me during setup. You should have been prompted for that.

D&C 89 is the support account, you won't get the password for that.
I have found in our Stake that when people try to sign in to the Admin account it disables the token in MLS. I have posted instructions on every Ward Clerk's computer to never use the admin account. Use only the unit number account.
Is there any way to remove the Admin, D&C 89 account names in the bottom of the sign on screen. Tech support has said they can't remove them.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

wcovey wrote:Is there any way to remove the Admin, D&C 89 account names in the bottom of the sign on screen. Tech support has said they can't remove them.
Yes, there is. It requires editing the registry. I don't recommend attempting this unless you are familiar with editing the registry and follow all the necessary safeguards. Modifying the Windows registry could be a dangerous game that can cause irreversible damage to your computer when changes are not done properly.

Another reason I don't recommend editing the registry is because the person making the edits may not be available to restore the registry at some future time when needed. A third issue is when user accounts are hidden the names of those accounts must be manually entered to gain access to those accounts. This is not a significant problem since those accounts are standard accounts on unit computers. The D&C 89 account is intended as a remote access account for support assistance from headquarters. They would have to be advised the account name is hidden whenever they attempt to access the computer remotely.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

wcovey wrote:I have found in our Stake that when people try to sign in to the Admin account it disables the token in MLS.
That's curious on a few levels. Do you mean if they run MLS when logged in under Admin? I can't think of any reason that the token would get messed up. Even less so if MLS is never started.

I also wonder why they have the password to the admin account. Usually those are disabled, and some other account has admin rights.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
wcovey

Post by wcovey »

yes, when someone tries to log into Admin account (and the password is the same on the computers in my Stake as the unit password is) the computers were dropped off to the wards by my STS and the printed instructions for setting up and returning the old equipment with the new units.
The clerks set the admin account password the same as the unit login password. So once the Admin account is accessed the token is deleted and MLS does not connect (send receive) until I get the token reset. This also affects MLS when the unit # is logged in to after the admin account had been accessed. MLS no longer connects until the token is reset.
I have changed the Admin password on all of the Stake computers and not told the clerks what it is.
Thanks for the response.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Ok, but I don't think that account setup is church standard.

I'm still mystified why simply logging into an account would mess up the token. I know about where it lives, and it's in a church-specific folder.

Usually the issue is that permissions are not right and users have to run MLS "As Administrator" in order to get i to work.

wcovey

Post by wcovey »

I did have to set run as administrator in all of the units and it still comes up with the box to authorize changes to Windows in order to open; on all of the units.
danpass

Post by danpass »

Make sure the unit accounts are in the Administrators group in Windows.
wcovey

Post by wcovey »

ok thanks.

Return to “Clerk Computers”