Privacy settings in Tools

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
davesudweeks

Re: Privacy settings in Tools

Post by davesudweeks »

lajackson wrote:Those who have set their information to private are showing up in orange now in Member Tools on my phone.
They have been showing that way for some time for me (Android device). However, I have not seen any unusual behavior - the small number are either the same ones who have always requested no contact when contacted or are a couple of recent developments with individuals where I'm aware of the reason for the change.
sdeery

Post by sdeery »

I'm having the same problem as broalexander. I am a Stake Executive Secretary and normally can see all kinds of information but it currently allows me to see almost no one outside my ward. Any ideas?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

sdeery wrote:I'm having the same problem as broalexander. I am a Stake Executive Secretary and normally can see all kinds of information but it currently allows me to see almost no one outside my ward. Any ideas?
Only the leaders in a unit with membership edit permissions can change a member's privacy settings in Member Tools. Stake leaders do not have access to make changes in Member Tools. And since Member Tools is the only place a leader can make changes to member privacy settings then stake leaders can only view privacy settings in the Ward Directory and Map app online. I do not know whether or not a stake leader can view privacy settings in Member Tools, but if they can they cannot edit those settings.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sdeery wrote:I'm having the same problem as broalexander. I am a Stake Executive Secretary and normally can see all kinds of information but it currently allows me to see almost no one outside my ward. Any ideas?
You might want to contact support and see if that's by design or a bug.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sethd

Post by sethd »

I have also seen members' contact information spontaneously marked as private without the member having any idea how that happened. I don't believe they somehow changed it by accident. I suspect that there is a bug in the system that is causing unexpected behavior.
wilcocka

Post by wilcocka »

broalexander wrote:Since yesterday (04/10/21) I am seeing "Private-Leadership Only" by most of the names when I go to the organization level in tools. Is this a fault with a new download, or has there been a legal change?
I'm getting the same thing when I use the app on my iPhone. When I click on the Organizations tab at the bottom all but one of the bishopric are listed Private—Leadership Only. (Seems odd that the bishopric would want to be private.) But when I bring them up on my laptop, I can see them all. So it doesn't seem to be a blanket change. Maybe just an iOS issue?
almatec2

Post by almatec2 »

In our household one of us would like to have their information set to private, leadership only and the other (spouse) would like to not be private at all. It looks to me like the setting apply to the household not the individual names. Is there a way to have different settings in the same house?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

You can set both an individual privacy level and a household level. The most restrictive setting applies, so setting the household to private effectively makes all of the individual information private.

To do what you want, set the household to stake for all items and then go to the individual who wants to be private and adjust their individual settings.
kmilleca

Post by kmilleca »

Attempting to change individual privacy settings in tools crashes the app -- I'll try to report this through an official channel.
jdhsunset

Post by jdhsunset »

I'M a fairly new ward clerk and was asked by a member to remove the phone, email, & address privacy setting on his tools directory. How do I do that with an i-phone app? I can't find a way using tools which gives me access to membership, finance, etc.

Return to “Member Tools”