Webcast Audio Feed | 60 Hz Hum | Passive DI Box?

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
john84601

Webcast Audio Feed | 60 Hz Hum | Passive DI Box?

Post by john84601 »

I use a Y cable to split the audio feed feed from PA system as it comes into the video distribution system to get audio for my webcasts. I have done this for a while and have always had a what I think is a "60 Hz Hum." Historically I have tried to "filter" this out using my Mackie mixer, but it doesn't filter out very well. I'm at a point where I am redoing my setup and I was hoping to fix this.

My understanding is that I may have one of two issues.
1) Ground Loop
2) Long (100+ ft) unbalanced cable run.

From what I can tell, the fix for this is the same. Seems like maybe I need to run my 1/4" TS connector into a Passive DI Box. That box will use a transformer to isolate ground and output a balanced signal (XLR) that I can run into my Mackie. My theory is that this will eliminate my "60 Hz Hum." I was thinking of using something like a "Radial Pro DI Passive Direct Box."

I know there are a lot of analog guys on these forums, can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track? Don't want to waste time and money on this if I've got it wrong.

Thanks in advance!

JW
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Webcast Audio Feed | 60 Hz Hum | Passive DI Box?

Post by Mikerowaved »

You might want to give your crab box a try, if you can afford a bit of loss. The EJ-8 would be preferred over the EJ-10, if you have a choice. It's transformer isolated with an optional ground lift switch.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
john84601

Post by john84601 »

Interesting. I couldn't find anything in the forum about DI Boxes. Does that mean people are just using a crab box instead? Sounds like they do the exact same thing. Thanks Mike!
danpass

Post by danpass »

We have hum issues with wireless mics connected to the sound systems in all 4 of our meetinghouses. We use this DI box, which has worked well for us.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

You also probably have "hum" in the audio going to the TVs - either all the time or just when you connect your Mackie Mixer. Either way, the proper place to put an isolating transformer is in front of BOTH the AV equipment and the Mackie mixer. Since the AV equipment expects a line level signal, a DI/Crab box won't work because the box outputs "mic" level. The RDL TX-1A Balanced to UnBalanced - Adjustable transformer https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Design-Lab ... B01D8QDFI6 is commonly used to correct hum problems in the LDS AV racks while maintaining the signal at line level.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

DI boxes are really handy to have in your audio "toolbox" to troubleshoot "hum" problems - and you don't need to spend very much. This $10 DI box works as good as the $50-$150 DI boxes https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Direct-I ... 0027V760M/

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”