Removing non-member spouse from records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
brown67

Removing non-member spouse from records

Post by brown67 »

We have a non-member spouse that wants their name removed from the records of the church. He's threatening legal action. He has a record number, and I'm guessing someone attached him to his wife who is a member. However, she doesn't want to be contacted by anybody but still wants her records to remain. Should I just go in and delete him, or is there some other method? He shows up on LDS tools with his wife.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Removing non-member spouse from records

Post by russellhltn »

I don't think you can delete him except by canceling the marriage. However, if you contact support, you can have his name suppressed on the church directory. That may be good enough since that's going to be the extent of his visibility to the general membership.

Since he's threatening legal action, I'd call the main number and ask for the legal department. Brief them on the situation. Let the lawyers handle it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

I'm sending you a PM.
ozmentri

Post by ozmentri »

I have a similar, but different situation. How do I update a marriage to reflect relationship to an existing member's record? The only option I see in LCR is to create a new membership record. Or, dissolve the marriage. I want to update the wife's marriage to reflect that her husband is a member - and tie her to the other member of her household.

A couple recently moved into our ward, and we received their membership records. Unfortunately the records came in as unrelated. The wife is a recent convert. Whenever her data was entered initially, her husband was listed as a non-member. But he is not a non-member. We have his records as well. He was showing as unmarried. Each spouse was head of their own household. I put them into the same household, and added the marriage date/place, etc. to the husband's record. Looking at the husband's record - the household now appears setup correctly. I can view family - and see both husband and wife. On the household view I see 'wife' as relationship to the female in the house. However, when viewing household from the wife's record, while it shows her as having a spouse of the same name as the male in the household there is a notation of "(non-member)" next to the spouses name - and gives an option to create a record for the spouse. Still from the wife's record, in the household view, the wife's relation to the male in the household is 'other'.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ozmentri wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:53 pm I have a similar, but different situation. How do I update a marriage to reflect relationship to an existing member's record?
I would contact support. Attempting to fix it on your own is likely to result in a false history of divorce.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
adamberkey

Post by adamberkey »

Brown67 wrote: "We have a non-member spouse that wants their name removed from the records of the church."
==
I would edit her spouse's name as Unknown Unknown.
Case closed.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

adamberkey wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:31 pm Brown67 wrote: "We have a non-member spouse that wants their name removed from the records of the church."
==
I would edit her spouse's name as Unknown Unknown.
Case closed.
It is better to call the GSC; they can suppress the non-member spouse's information on the web page and also help with cases like the above. If you type in Unknown that is the name which will appear as a non-member spouse in the directory.

Return to “Membership Help”