Question about genealogy

daultman

Question about genealogy

Post by daultman »

Okay some there is this new virtual reality application called altspace that recently made a section dedicated to people who want to discuss genealogy. The Host who was discussing it mentioned an application that is only available to LDS members that fills in the holes where you're stuck ancestry and familysearch.org. Does anyone know what this application is?
rubyalee

Re: Question about genealogy

Post by rubyalee »

I am a new member. Some of my relatives have done a lot of family research and have filled the Lee family tree to a dead end at Jefferson Lee. I was told by a church member that they found his parents on Ancestry.com. I went there (just before I was baptized) and tried to get the 10 day free account but they charged me anyway. I have never set up anything in Ancestry, but someone on my mom's side of the family did extensive research on my grandmother; but there is very little info on my mother's father.
Do I have to create an account in Ancestry before I can link the file some of my family has done to my ancestry account in The Church of Jesus Christ of LDS's genealogy tree?
I am not skilled in this area and really have the time to create a full family tree in Ancestry.
Please advise. The lady who is the genealogy contact in my Ward is in a rehabilitation facility for the next 2 to 3 weeks and I don't want to bother her.
[Personal information removed - this is a public forum}
Last edited by russellhltn on Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal information - this is a public form
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

FamilySearch and Ancestry.com work differently. On Ancestry, each person has their own individual tree. On FamilySearch, there is one global tree that everyone participates in as a collaborative effort. That said, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints can gain access to Ancestry.com for free due to an agreement between Ancestry.com and the church. To set that up:
1. Log on to FamilySearch (make sure your church membership number is linked to your FamilySearch account)
2. Scroll to the very bottom of the page and click on the "Solutions Gallery" link
3. Scroll down to the section called "Latter-Day Saints Access" and click the "More" button to the right of that title
4. Click on the "Ancestry for Latter-day Saints" tile and follow the instructions.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

davesudweeks wrote:(make sure your church membership number is linked to your FamilySearch account)
I just wanted to highlight this part of the process. You can check at Account.ChurchofJesusChrist.org to see if your membership record number is correctly associated with your Church Account. If you don't have your membership record number, you can get it from your ward clerk. Then, you can use your Church Account to sign in to FamilySearch.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

sbradshaw wrote:
davesudweeks wrote:(make sure your church membership number is linked to your FamilySearch account)
I just wanted to highlight this part of the process. You can check at Account.ChurchofJesusChrist.org to see if your membership record number is correctly associated with your Church Account. If you don't have your membership record number, you can get it from your ward clerk. Then, you can use your Church Account to sign in to FamilySearch.
Thanks for the clarification!
jwthomasbennion

Post by jwthomasbennion »

davesudweeks wrote:FamilySearch and Ancestry.com work differently. On Ancestry, each person has their own individual tree. On FamilySearch, there is one global tree that everyone participates in as a collaborative effort. That said, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints can gain access to Ancestry.com for free due to an agreement between Ancestry.com and the church. To set that up:
1. Log on to FamilySearch (make sure your church membership number is linked to your FamilySearch account)
2. Scroll to the very bottom of the page and click on the "Solutions Gallery" link
3. Scroll down to the section called "Latter-Day Saints Access" and click the "More" button to the right of that title
4. Click on the "Ancestry for Latter-day Saints" tile and follow the instructions.
Or just :
2. Open a new tab on your browser and type in this URL address: https://www.familysearch.org/partneraccess/
3. Click on any "Join for Free" button under any of the 6 companies that partner with FamilySearch for church members. (The first being Ancestry)

Return to “FamilySearch Products”