member records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
wcovey

member records

Post by wcovey »

"I have a request for children who have been sealed to their mother to change their last name. The father no longer wants them to display his last name.
How do I change their names and what documentation do I need to do this?

William Covey Stake Clerk
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: member records

Post by russellhltn »

General Handbook 33.6.1:
A person’s full legal name, as defined by local law or custom, should be used on membership records and ordinance certificates.
The first question I have, is what is their legal name? You should be able to edit the records to reflect that.

I don't recall if "preferred name" includes the last name. The "household name" that's attached to the household is how they are grouped in the Directory/Member Tools. Both preferred and household name can be whatever they want it to be.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

wcovey wrote:How do I change their names and what documentation do I need to do this?
A stake clerk does not have membership edit permissions. Any membership information change, such as a name change, has to be done by a unit leader/clerk with membership edit permissions in which the membership record resides.
russellhltn wrote:I don't recall if "preferred name" includes the last name.
It includes "Family Name", "Given Name(s)", and "Suffix"
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
wcovey

Post by wcovey »

Thank you JD, i knew I could not edit the records but was inquiring for a Ward Clerk and my assistant clerk.
Appreciate the response.
IMarindi

Post by IMarindi »

My name is Ishmael Marindi form Harare Zimbabwe. I joined Pathway program and I now want register for my degree program, however I am failing to do that because the system is saying I have another account linked to my records. I have idea what that account is, I may have forgotten. May you please link my current user name to my records? I have been trying the toll free numbers for help without success both South Africa and Zimbabwe numbers [personal information removed]

Would be grateful if you could help associate the accounts so I can happily register
Last edited by russellhltn on Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed personal information - this is a public forum
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

IMarindi wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:28 am I have been trying the toll free numbers for help without success both South Africa and Zimbabwe numbers
I would try those numbers again. Given the time of your post, it may have been outside of working hours.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”