Next Revision Unit Web Sites Wish List

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
zaneclark

Birthday List

Post by zaneclark »

I really like the idea of a birthday list on the site so I tried the method Dennis used but I am not tech savvy enough with spread sheets. Instead, I did it by going into MLS and printing out a birthday list for the ward. I am now in the process of typing them into the news section. I will display 2 months at a time and I have December and January so far and it wasn't too bad. BTW, once again I recommend that all ward administrators should have MLS access just for things like this.... Anyway, thanks Dennis for the idea, even if I didn't do it with a spread sheet.
AileneRHerrick

Here's another idea...

Post by AileneRHerrick »

Here's another idea that I just thought of...

Sign-up sheets!

Wouldn't it be great to have a function where people could sign-up via the ward website for certain things (for example, to bring something to the ward potluck, to feed the missionaries, sealing teams, etc...). Then they could have the option of having the Ward Website send them reminders of the things that they are supposed to bring.

The only problem that I foresee with that is that not everyone has Internet access to use the ward website to sign up for things, so they may have to go through a little extra trouble to sign up to feed the missionaries or something like that.

Ailene
gregneg

Fix the date format

Post by gregneg »

"which will happen on 2/04/2009."----

Is that 2 March, 2009? --- or is it 4 February, 2009? :confused:

That quote was from an automatic calendar email. ( A website check showed that it was 4 February).

The whole world (except **some** factions of the US) uses the day-month-year sequence, Including "our own" geneology.

We need to have that fixed to be clear --- especially as LUWS goes international. May I suggest using alpha for the month?
AileneRHerrick

Good idea!

Post by AileneRHerrick »

elderj1 wrote:"which will happen on 2/04/2009."----

Is that 2 March, 2009? --- or is it 4 February, 2009? :confused:

That quote was from an automatic calendar email. ( A website check showed that it was 4 February).

The whole world (except **some** factions of the US) uses the day-month-year sequence, Including "our own" geneology.

We need to have that fixed to be clear --- especially as LUWS goes international. May I suggest using alpha for the month?

That's an excellent idea. I'm in the United States, but I know the confusion that the date format can cause sometimes!
dmaynes

E-mail notification/subscription system

Post by dmaynes »

AileneRHerrick wrote:Here's another idea that I just thought of...
Wouldn't it be great to have a function where people could sign-up via the ward website for certain things (for example, to bring something to the ward potluck, to feed the missionaries, sealing teams, etc...). Then they could have the option of having the Ward Website send them reminders of the things that they are supposed to bring.
Here's how I would like to see the e-mail notification/reminder system work.

1- The website administrator or the submitter indicates for the news/information item or the calendar event which subscription lists are relevant. These are: Relief Society, High Priests, Young Women, Primary, Elders Quorum, ..., General Ward.
2- The registered user indicates which subscription lists that are desired to be monitored.
3- The user indicates for each subscription list to be notified of the following "events" or "updates:" (1) Addtions, (2) Deletions, (3) Modifications, (4) Pending Events, (5) Pending Expirations.
4- For Pending Events or Expirations, the user indicates the number of days in advance for a reminder to be sent.
5- The user indicates how often to send updates: daily or weekly (specify day of the week).

Each day, the system would process all the event notifications for a user. If none exist, the user does not receive an e-mail. Any event notifications that exist are bundled into a notification e-mail and it is sent. Event notifications for that user are updated.

To make this work, an event notification scheduling database would need to be maintained. Whenever an item is added/updated/deleted on the website, the event notification scheduling database would be updated. The day's events are processed and e-mails are composed and sent. When the e-mails are sent, the individual's event notifications are updated so that the next notification may occur as scheduled.

When a member moves to a new ward, all the events for the existing ward should be deleted and an update routine should process the new member for the ward. This same routine would accommodate individuals who are newly registered for a ward website or who modify their notification requests.

The current design does not accommodate reminders and notifications are at the discretion of the website administrator, not the user. Because of this, the current automated notification system does not really help. Notices are sent when an item is added to the calendar, even if the event won't occur for several months. It would be better to have notices/reminders sent in advance of the event according to the user's schedule.

I'm not sure that my suggested functionality exactly addresses the functionality in the quote, but I think an event notification scheduling database, similar to what I have described, will be needed to support specific sign-ups and reminders.

Thanks,
Dennis
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

dmaynes wrote:Here's how I would like to see the e-mail notification/reminder system work.

1- The website administrator or the submitter indicates for the news/information item or the calendar event which subscription lists are relevant. These are: Relief Society, High Priests, Young Women, Primary, Elders Quorum, ..., General Ward.
2- The registered user indicates which subscription lists that are desired to be monitored.
3- The user indicates for each subscription list to be notified of the following "events" or "updates:" (1) Addtions, (2) Deletions, (3) Modifications, (4) Pending Events, (5) Pending Expirations.
4- For Pending Events or Expirations, the user indicates the number of days in advance for a reminder to be sent.
5- The user indicates how often to send updates: daily or weekly (specify day of the week).

Each day, the system would process all the event notifications for a user. If none exist, the user does not receive an e-mail. Any event notifications that exist are bundled into a notification e-mail and it is sent. Event notifications for that user are updated.

To make this work, an event notification scheduling database would need to be maintained. Whenever an item is added/updated/deleted on the website, the event notification scheduling database would be updated. The day's events are processed and e-mails are composed and sent. When the e-mails are sent, the individual's event notifications are updated so that the next notification may occur as scheduled.

When a member moves to a new ward, all the events for the existing ward should be deleted and an update routine should process the new member for the ward. This same routine would accommodate individuals who are newly registered for a ward website or who modify their notification requests.

The current design does not accommodate reminders and notifications are at the discretion of the website administrator, not the user. Because of this, the current automated notification system does not really help. Notices are sent when an item is added to the calendar, even if the event won't occur for several months. It would be better to have notices/reminders sent in advance of the event according to the user's schedule.

I'm not sure that my suggested functionality exactly addresses the functionality in the quote, but I think an event notification scheduling database, similar to what I have described, will be needed to support specific sign-ups and reminders.

Thanks,
Dennis

I like your idea too! I think that would be a great idea for calendar events and information.

My idea was different than yours, but both ideas would work well together. My idea could be incorporated with yours. My idea was to have something on the website where people could sign up for things. For example, they could sign up to clean the church and have a reminder sent to them. Or they could sign up to bring chili to the potluck and have a reminder sent to them. It would be user-specific as to the items they signed up for. Does that make sense?

I can't wait for the new LUWS! :D
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

AileneRHerrick wrote: My idea was different than yours, but both ideas would work well together. My idea could be incorporated with yours. My idea was to have something on the website where people could sign up for things. For example, they could sign up to clean the church and have a reminder sent to them. Or they could sign up to bring chili to the potluck and have a reminder sent to them. It would be user-specific as to the items they signed up for. Does that make sense?
I think your idea makes sense. I am sure that the LUWS team will consider many factors in deciding which ideas to implement and which ones to leave alone.

I would like to see the LUWS move beyond being a mere information repository. This appears to be its primary function, right now. I would like to see the LUWS take on a role where ward members can interact with assignments and can help each other. But this increased usage and role for LUWS means that it could no longer be maintained by one or two individuals under the direction of the local leaders. An expanded role like this could require the local leaders to make interesting decisions. As an example, I had experimented with sharing medical updates (with the member's permission). After looking at this, the PEC in our ward decided to not share medical updates in this way.

Right now, my big challenge is getting the ward leaders to submit information and calendar events to the website. I listen the best that I can in meetings and take notes of everything that I think might be relevant. But, it also means that I am often unable to gather information in a timely manner. For example, not hearing about a fireside until the day it is held means there was no opportunity to provide reminders to the ward members.

Thanks,
Dennis
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

dmaynes wrote:Right now, my big challenge is getting the ward leaders to submit information and calendar events to the website. I listen the best that I can in meetings and take notes of everything that I think might be relevant. But, it also means that I am often unable to gather information in a timely manner. For example, not hearing about a fireside until the day it is held means there was no opportunity to provide reminders to the ward members.

I feel your pain!!! Any tips for encouraging leadership to submit news and information to the Ward Website? Perhaps you could send them a short survey each month to fill out and send back to you?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

AileneRHerrick wrote:Any tips for encouraging leadership to submit news and information to the Ward Website?
If it's not on the website, the room/building is not reserved and/or the activity hasn't been approved. ;)

Seriously, who is approving the activities without it getting to you? IF you can get all your approvers in line then the information should be flowing to you.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
AileneRHerrick

Haha, that's funny. But good idea!

Post by AileneRHerrick »

RussellHltn wrote:If it's not on the website, the room/building is not reserved and/or the activity hasn't been approved. ;)

Seriously, who is approving the activities without it getting to you? IF you can get all your approvers in line then the information should be flowing to you.

Haha! :D Unfortunately, I'm not in a position of authority where I can make that sort of declaration. Especially being female...

But that's a good idea... I could coordinate with the Building Coordinators and see if they can get me a copy of their calendar of approved activities, so I can post it on the website. Thanks for the idea!

Ailene

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”