Unit computer suddenly missing accounts

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
bphilli7

Unit computer suddenly missing accounts

Post by bphilli7 »

I am an STS in North America, United States. I had a unit call me today saying they couldn't log into their computer. At the login screen, they have three options: Administrator, Church Support, and Other User. They have lost their Clerk and UnitXXXXXXX accounts, and cannot access their unit computer.

Reading this forum, it sounds like the church technology department has made some configuration changes that affect how units access their computers. It would be nice if 1) these changes were consistently applied. In this same building are 3 other units, which still have their local accounts, and 2 other units which still have a dandc89 account. and 2) it were better communicated. I called GSC and the recorded intro says "if you're calling about the dandc89 account, head to the forum for information". Of course, there's very little information on this forum other than "we removed it... sorry". If a change is of a magnitude where they need to adjust the recorded message when you call, then it's probably big enough to write up a one-page newsnote and email it out to all stake clerks and STS, maybe?

The unit cannot access their computer. The GSC is closed on Sunday and cannot support re-enabling access to the computer. The previous STS set the Administrator account password, but does not recall what it was.

Does anyone here know the password to the Church Support account? I would like to re-enable the Clerk account so my unit can log in and use their resources. It feels like the church technology department has put steps in place to keep them from doing that, though. It is very unhelpful.

I'm worried I'll have to wipe the computer and delete all of the unit's saved files to re-gain access.
drepouille

Re: Unit computer suddenly missing accounts

Post by drepouille »

Is the problem the same as reported here?
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=37359

If so, then you can add ".\" before the local account username on the login screen to access those accounts as Other User.

If an administrator can't remember his password, and no other administrator is available to reset his password, then you can use the "stick keys" hack to gain admin-level access to the command line, and reset his password there.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

bphilli7 wrote:At the login screen, they have three options: Administrator, Church Support, and Other User. They have lost their Clerk and UnitXXXXXXX accounts, and cannot access their unit computer.
I do not believe that the Unitxxxxxxx account should have gone away. I doubt anyone has the password to the new Church Support account, and even if someone did, they would not be able to post it here at the forum.

Without recovering the Administrator account, I would suggest calling the Global Services Department on Monday. I do not know if they would be willing to remotely sign on to the administrative computer and help you recover. But if they are not, they will be able to provide guidance on what you will need to do otherwise.
dvddarrenw

Post by dvddarrenw »

We have this same problem. Three accounts now and we cannot log in to any of them.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dvddarrenw wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:22 pm We have this same problem. Three accounts now and we cannot log in to any of them.
Assuming you have the login screen where you have to type the user name, have you tried adding .\ before the username?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Clerk Computers”