Authorizing out-of-stake patriarchal blessings

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
GStringham

Authorizing out-of-stake patriarchal blessings

Post by GStringham »

My father is a stake patriarch. As such, he is authorized to give patriarchal blessings to any of his direct descendants that live outside his stake. He’s given it to some of my children. However the process to do so is very cumbersome. Since I’m a techie (and my father is not,) four of my nieces and nephews and other friends have contacted me to help their bishop/stake president figure out how to do it.

The bishop has to put in the out-of-stake patriarch’s membership number online. That’s easy enough. But it gets stuck at the stake level. The stake say they’ve approved it and the bishop sees that it’s still pending stake approval and my father cannot yet see it when he logs in.

From what I have been told, the stake president and only the stake president has the button in his online account to make that approval. The counselors don’t and the stake clerks and executive secretaries don’t. When the counselors log in, they don’t see anything for them to do so they think it’s all approved, but it’s not. The stake president has to log in, then go to the patriarchal blessing screen, and somewhere in there is a button that he has to push. Only after he pushes that button will the information show up on the patriarch’s screen.

My request is that LCR be improved so that the bishop, the stake presidency counselors, and any other applicable leaders, see a note by the member’s patriarchal blessing entry that points them to the stake president. Something like, “*Note: This person’s patriarchal blessing recommendation can only be approved by the stake president.” Then when the bishop sees it, or when the stake presidency counselors see it, or anybody else, they know what needs to happen to get it approved.

It looks like this forum allows new posts to be created in certain areas based on one’s calling. Since I’m not a leader or a clerk, I’m just a lowly member, this is one of the few places I found where I could post a new topic, even though it probably fits better somewhere else.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Authorizing out-of-stake patriarchal blessings

Post by russellhltn »

GStringham wrote:It looks like this forum allows new posts to be created in certain areas based on one’s calling.
No, it doesn't. However, it does impose a moderation requirement for the first few posts.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nannerhut

Post by nannerhut »

GStringham.... do you get any response? I also am wondering what needs to be done so my husband can receive his patriarchal blessing from a patriarch in his old family stake in Texas.... while we reside in Southern California. The patriarch there knows his family and it would make it special as family could all be there. My question is: can it be done?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nannerhut wrote:I also am wondering what needs to be done so my husband can receive his patriarchal blessing from a patriarch in his old family stake in Texas.... while we reside in Southern California.
Church policy only provides for blessings outside of the stake under limited circumstances. The only one that would apply in your situation is if your husband is a lineal descendant of the patriarch. Lineal descendant is defined as child, grandchild, and great grandchild.

nannerhut wrote:and it would make it special as family could all be there.
I don't know how many "all" would be, but you may want to be aware of Handbook 2: 20.12.2:
Each patriarchal blessing is sacred, confidential, and personal. Therefore, it is given in private except that a limited number of family members may be present.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
weetie

Post by weetie »

Can I receive my patriarchal blessing from another patriarch not in my home stake?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

weetie wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:00 pm Can I receive my patriarchal blessing from another patriarch not in my home stake?
Only under limited circumstances. See General Handbook 38.2.12.2 - Giving Patriarchal Blessings to Members outside the Stake

Return to “Other Member Technologies”