When doing Expenses -- why are Payment Type and Payee backwards?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jgoggan

When doing Expenses -- why are Payment Type and Payee backwards?

Post by jgoggan »

So, this has bugged me ever since ACH transfer became a payment option...

Why does it first ask why TYPE of payment to make (check or ACH) and only AFTER that ask you who the Payee is? (And then complain if you selected ACH and the Payee doesn't accept that.) It just seems like these are backwards.

Shouldn't it just ask who the Payee is first? And then, if they are set up for ACH, it should default to that as the Payment Type -- and, if they are not set up for ACH, default to Check as the payment type.

It just seems obviously backwards to me and, when we first started, my thought was "Well, this is in beta basically, they will fix this soon." But, now, much later, it is still backwards.

Am I missing something obvious on why they would do it this way instead of just asking for the Payee first?
jgoggan

Re: When doing Expenses -- why are Payment Type and Payee backwards?

Post by jgoggan »

I submitted this as Feedback on the page a couple days ago -- today they said thanks and that they'd pass it along... We'll see if this changes in the future. Just seems so weird to me that it is designed as it is...

Return to “Local Unit Finance”