Primary teachers class access on tools

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
brown67

Primary teachers class access on tools

Post by brown67 »

Do primary teachers have access to their class members lists on tools? Primary president asked me about that today. All teachers are assigned to their classes.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Primary teachers class access on tools

Post by jdlessley »

brown67 wrote:Do primary teachers have access to their class members lists on tools? Primary president asked me about that today. All teachers are assigned to their classes.
Only the primary presidency has access to organization information. Unfortunately this means primary teachers do not have access in Member Tools to see the members of the classes they teach. The only work-around is for the primary secretary to provide a paper attendance roster to the teachers.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
JonathanThomasMarshall

Post by JonathanThomasMarshall »

Is this because the Church doesn't want Primary teachers to have access to this info electronically or simply technical decision not to implement that feature?

I'm a primary music director, and it would help me get to know all the children better if I had ready access. For now, I'm working through the Primary Presidency.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

JonathanThomasMarshall wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:12 am Is this because the Church doesn't want Primary teachers to have access to this info electronically or simply technical decision not to implement that feature?

The reason for this is unknown. The development team gets their business rules from a sponsoring Church department or council. Unless those who are in the know visit here, read this thread, and then respond we are left to speculate. My speculation is the most restrictive privacy laws the Church must operate under, the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), are driving the Church to limit access.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JonathanThomasMarshall wrote: Is this because the Church doesn't want Primary teachers to have access to this info electronically or simply technical decision not to implement that feature?
I agree with jdlessley. In my personal opinion, it has to do with children and youth protection issues. There may also be legal requirements involved.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:37 am I agree with jdlessley. In my personal opinion, it has to do with children and youth protection issues. There may also be legal requirements involved.
I agree in principle with jdlessley and lajackson. My addition to the speculation pile is to point out the same issue exists for adult class.

I'm suspecting it may have to do with the "leadership only" privacy selection some members may have (and is the default for the UK). Is a teacher is a "leader" according to the privacy laws?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
trevorlauder

Post by trevorlauder »

Class information is included in the data sent to Member Tools. You can see what classes a member is in by selecting them in the directory, including children and youth in your home unit. So the data is included in the json data sent back from the API and the app does not block you from viewing that information for a specific member. My assumption is this is a bug so I submitted a bug report for it. If it's not a bug and the intent is to block access except for leadership, Member Tools should not be receiving class information at all.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

trevorlauder wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:17 pm Class information is included in the data sent to Member Tools. You can see what classes a member is in by selecting them in the directory, including children and youth in your home unit. So the data is included in the json data sent back from the API and the app does not block you from viewing that information for a specific member.
That's fine - unless that person's privacy has been marked as "leadership only" and you're not a "leader". Then you shouldn't be able to see them at all.

But what happens if you look at a class list and notice some people are missing (because they were set to private)? You wouldn't be able to run an attendance list from that incomplete information. (Which is what this thread is about.) And the fact some are missing now becomes more obvious and may put pressure on members to "uncloak".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
trevorlauder

Post by trevorlauder »

russellhltn wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:11 pm
trevorlauder wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:17 pm Class information is included in the data sent to Member Tools. You can see what classes a member is in by selecting them in the directory, including children and youth in your home unit. So the data is included in the json data sent back from the API and the app does not block you from viewing that information for a specific member.
That's fine - unless that person's privacy has been marked as "leadership only" and you're not a "leader". Then you shouldn't be able to see them at all.

But what happens if you look at a class list and notice some people are missing (because they were set to private)? You wouldn't be able to run an attendance list from that incomplete information. (Which is what this thread is about.) And the fact some are missing now becomes more obvious and may put pressure on members to "uncloak".
I'll have to test it out with someone that I know has it marked as private, but I don't believe it changes anything for this. The privacy settings are for Photo, Phone, E-mail, Address and Show on Map. I believe they would still show up in the list of members and you would be able to see class information, just not the data I listed. Regardless, if there is a privacy or legal reason to not show the lists, it's moot as they send the data to the client which means it's trivial to get with a little code. I'll see what they respond back with about the bug report, if it's not a bug then they should fix the data leak.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

trevorlauder wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:23 pmThe privacy settings are for Photo, Phone, E-mail, Address and Show on Map.
There is also a setting called Household Visibility Limit which controls whether people in the household are visible at all. If that one is set (and the user isn't a leader) then that person shouldn't show up in the json data at all. If they do, then that would almost surely be a privacy bug.

Return to “Member Tools”