Sacrament Meeting

Discussions around receiving conferences and broadcasts for the meetinghouse via Internet.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Re: Sacrament Meeting - Zoom Platform

Post by rmrichesjr »

jensenmi wrote:There is a deficiency with the Zoom Platform for attending virtual sacrament meetings and Sunday School. The problem is, unlike any other streaming service, to have the family gathered around the TV using an HDMI cable from a laptop, the sound does NOT transfer from the laptop speakers to the TV speakers. ...

Please help.
If this problem is seen/heard when using the Zoom app, there's a (perhaps small) chance the web app might be a useful workaround.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Sacrament Meeting

Post by russellhltn »

If you're running the Zoom app, you can select the "speakers" in the audio section.

I'm not sure if that is available if you're running Zoom from a web page without the app installed.

Following this article, you could answer "No" to "Do you hear a ringtone" until the sound comes from the TV.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

I have had the same thing happen on a few occasions - video but no sound. It happens when I startup the computer before turning on the TV and having the TV on the correct HDMI input. Everything works properly if I turn on the TV and have it on the correct HDMI input before turning on the computer. Disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable "should" also make it work.
ccordoba24

Post by ccordoba24 »

Mikerowaved wrote:
ccordoba24 wrote:I know the server is up before 10 am but not sure if people can log in before 10am.
People can begin viewing at any time. If you're not webcasting yet, they will get a canned video from the church. As russellhltn pointed out, any time after 9am, you can begin webcasting. When you do, any viewers already online will be automatically switched over to your video feed within a minute or two.
Yes, got it..Thanks for the advice.
Cheers,
ggg123

Post by ggg123 »

Just wanted to post this out there. We use a zoom webinar running from a laptop to broadcast sacrament meeting. With that, we can mute all participants and not allow people to unmute themselves. I also turn off the "Raise Hand" and "Chat" functionality. The webinar seems to be a good option since we are not looking to have an interactive meeting, just a broadcast. Once the zoom webinar is setup, the URL link is established and doesn't change. We can also generate an attendance report to aid in our overall sacrament meeting attendance count.

Audio setup:
We connect directly to the church sound system. Here is how we do it:
I bought two audio cables listed below to connect to the Record Out (Line level) port on the side of the podium. The cables are listed here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DI ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.headsetbuddy.com/mic-line-p ... artphones/

Connect the first 10ft cable from the Record Out (Line level) port on the side of the podium to the blue input connection on the headset buddy cable. Then connect the headset buddy cable to your laptop's microphone port.
See attached PDF for more details.

Video setup:
I use my cell phone as a remote camera. You can do this by downloading and installing an app called "DroidCamX". It can be found here: https://www.dev47apps.com/
This app is free (although there is a paid version of it). There are two parts to this app: The first part is the app itself that you install on your cell phone. The second part is a client program that you install on your laptop. The beauty of this is the app allows your cell phone to be setup as a remote webcam and connects to your laptop over the wifi. I can then mount my cell phone on a tripod in the middle of the chapel facing the speaker. The tripod is setup in the center of a middle pew. Then I can use my camera's zoom to zoom in on the speaker (admittedly, the zoom is not great but it's adequate). This is all for an android cell phone and a Windows laptop. I know there is an iPhone equivalent out there, too.

On your laptop, Zoom will recognize the DroidCamX program as a video source so you can broadcast it.

Seems to work pretty well for a minimal cost.
Attachments
Audio Input.pdf
(465.86 KiB) Downloaded 701 times
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

To save a few dollars on the longer audio cable, you might check my favorite cable store: https://www.pchcables.com/12fo3stplplb.html I have no affiliation with that store other than as a very satisfied customer. I used to work a couple of blocks from the store, so I would drop in and buy cables, gaffer tape, velcro, etc. on the way home from work. As far as I can tell, their shipping charges are the actual USPS or UPS charge, with no mark-up. Their prices are insanely low, but I have rarely if ever been dissatisfied with the quality of their product.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Rather than use Headset Buddy which is a bit pricy, you can use the Sabrent USB External Stereo Sound Adapter for Windows and Mac.. While it says "mic in" it works fine with the chapel "line out" without distortion. The only drawback is it takes up a USB port and it's a bit wide.

But it does avoid the whole discussion of what kind of mic input the laptop has. There's a couple of different ways it could be, and they're incompatible with each other.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

russellhltn wrote:Rather than use Headset Buddy which is a bit pricy, you can use the Sabrent USB External Stereo Sound Adapter for Windows and Mac.. While it says "mic in" it works fine with the chapel "line out" without distortion. The only drawback is it takes up a USB port and it's a bit wide.

But it does avoid the whole discussion of what kind of mic input the laptop has. There's a couple of different ways it could be, and they're incompatible with each other.
The Sabrent was upgraded sometime between November 2020, when I bought our first one, and February, when I broke it and replaced it. The device is now encased in sturdier aluminum, and it ships with a 4" or so USB extension cable, so the width of the device isn't a factor anymore. Also, the adapter has the aux ports labeled for those of us who can never remember whether green is supposed to be for a microphone or a speaker. It works wonderfully, but isn't ideal for another ward in my building who uses an iPad with no USB ports.
evancpugh

Post by evancpugh »

We just switched from youtube live to Zoom using the headset buddy adaptor (line version) connected to the chapel sound system. I'm using my iphone 12 as the host (camera). Having the report data that is collected by zoom gives the bishop the data he needs for attendance. I have one complaint from one member - The aspect ratio is 4:3. With YouTube Live using my lapstop it was 16:9. I want to change it be 16:9 but I see no way to change it when using my iphone. Zoom support will not talk to me because our church account does not have phone support. Does anyone know how/or if the aspect ratio can be changed when using the iphone? With a camera that supports 4K you would think that should be possible.

Return to “Receiving Internet Broadcasts”