Changes to Webcast buffering times

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
Jacobdaviddean

Re: Changes to Webcast buffering times

Post by Jacobdaviddean »

I'd like to preface my complaint with that I know there is documentation and notifications regarding the changes to the pre-post event buffers.

Yesterday I ran a live stream for a funeral service. I set up the event with 30 minutes lead time before the actual event start time of 11am. I set it for 1 hour completely forgetting that all post-event buffers were shortened for all meetings. I ended up losing track of time until OBS Studio displayed a disconnect error and by then it was too late to add any time to the event.

There used to be a pre/post event buffer timeline displayed during event setup. I feel with the variable buffer times the pre/post buffer timeline should be brought back or the times should be displayed during the event setup.

Having to rely on a PDF for such important variable information is, IMO, poor design, especially considering this information used to be displayed during event setup.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Changes to Webcast buffering times

Post by lajackson »

Jacobdaviddean wrote: I'd like to preface my complaint with that I know there is documentation and notifications regarding the changes to the pre-post event buffers.
And it is really hard to find, although I know there is a post with a pdf attachment with the information somewhere here at the Forum. (Or I could read back two posts and know exactly where to find it. I always read back two posts in every thread before I post -- haha).

I think the times used to be at the Webcast Portal under the Successful Webcast Checklist link. That page no longer works (404 error).

For convenience, from my own notes without any guarantee at all:

Sacrament Meeting: 20 min pre-buffer / 5 min post buffer
Stake Conference: 45 min pre-buffer / 5 min post buffer

(I think the stake conference post buffer ought to be at least twice as long, but who am I to say about these things.)

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”