How long can you stay logged in to the church website?

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
mevans

How long can you stay logged in to the church website?

Post by mevans »

In the past it seemed like I could stay logged in to the church website as long as I was actively using it. If I was idle for a while it would log me out. However, in the more recent months/years, it seems like once I get logged in that I get kicked off after a while (maybe 30-40 minutes?) even if I'm actively using the site. I can be in the middle of doing things and have to log in again. It's pretty frustrating. Is this what others experience?
garystroble

Re: How long can you stay logged in to the church website?

Post by garystroble »

mevans wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:04 pm In the past it seemed like I could stay logged in to the church website as long as I was actively using it. If I was idle for a while it would log me out. However, in the more recent months/years, it seems like once I get logged in that I get kicked off after a while (maybe 30-40 minutes?) even if I'm actively using the site. I can be in the middle of doing things and have to log in again. It's pretty frustrating. Is this what others experience?
It's undoubtedly a function of bandwidth needed vs. number of connections, active or not, all of which are consuming bandwidth. The keep-alive portion of the connection is what keeps you logged in, assuming total bandwidth being consumed does not exceed capabilities.

The good thing is that if you get logged out, you should be able to log back in right where you left off.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

How do you define "active"? Depending on what you're working on, the work might be going on only in the browser. The servers never see any traffic from you and log you out as if you were inactive.

If you're deleting cookies, that could also cause a logout.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:10 pm If you're deleting cookies, that could also cause a logout.
Some of Tim's work on the forum might have reset the activity timers a couple of times. I don't know. I haven't seen what's being reported and I've been active quite a bit recently.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:48 pm Some of Tim's work on the forum might have reset the activity timers a couple of times.
That would affect the forum. I'm assuming op is talking about the main site.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

As long as different areas of the website are accessed on a regular basis, then you shouldn’t be logged out. Staying on the same webpage without any interaction will cause the login to be timed out.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Thanks for your replies. I'm often times using the online Gospel Library when I get logged out. I'm making highlights, looking at footnotes, etc. At least when I make a highlight, that's going to be a web service call back to the church servers to send the data, so there should be some activity. I don't know how much the page downloads, so it's possible that looking at my existing notes isn't another call. One of the worst things is when I'm in the middle of typing a note and suddenly it decides I need to log in again. The thing is that it seems to be periodically sending things to the church servers while I'm typing. The Gospel Library web pages seem to have many problems, so it's possible the problem lies with the programming. My perception is that the issues somewhat aligned with when the church switched to the Okta login screen.
kellymab

Post by kellymab »

I've been running into this problem a lot lately. If I'm working on a lesson and go back to the church website after 20 minutes, I have to log back in. Its really irritating. I agree that it seems to like up with the Okta login screen. I have even found that if I go to another part of the website (ie scriptures to maps) I have to login again. It doesn't remember me signing in.

Return to “Main Church Website”