Replacement for 'mywebcast' to list zoom meeting links

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
rdkent

Replacement for 'mywebcast' to list zoom meeting links

Post by rdkent »

With the imminent demise of the Church Webcast Service / Portal, has anyone come up with a suitable, manageable replacement for the functionality provided by the "mywebcast.churchofjesuschrist.org/Events/<stakename>" webpage that provided a consistent, stable / static place for members to always be able to find and view the meeting webcasts available to be viewed?
My Stake President loves this capability, as it provides him a way to drop in on any of the webcast meetings in the Stake without having to track down a current link.
With ZOOM, even if the meetings are set up as recurring, a different unique link is required for each meeting type and Unit.
He is also concerned with the ability / accessibility of individual ZOOM meeting links for our Senior population, some of which are not as adept with current technology.
I inquired with the Meetinghouse Technology Group and the Broadcast Support Group at Church Headquarters and they indicate that there is no (current) plan to replace that functionality.
I know that some Units have set up Stake and Ward Facebook accounts and/or groups, but I am somewhat concerned with the idea of using one of the commercial social media services for this type of more or less 'official' Church Unit information.

Any ideas, experiences, and/or suggestions would be very appreciated.
Wattsuk

Re: Replacement for 'mywebcast' to list zoom meeting links

Post by Wattsuk »

Been playing with free google sites / google forms in an effort to retain a consistent link and to capture attendance data as well.

Not quite ironed out all the creases but you get the idea and could emulate something similar in just a few minutes if it suits your needs.

https://sites.google.com/view/southampton/home
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I've been able to recreate the functionality of the old Meetinghouse Webcast stake landing page using YouTube Live (YTL). This is our stake YouTube "Channel":
https://youtube.com/LaytonUtahKaysCreekStake

I've been putting together a "How to" tutorial and I'm just about ready to release Part 6, which will be setting up the Teradek VidiU for YTL. Here's the link to Part 1:
Unofficial guide for YouTube Live - Part 1: Creating Live Events

I do exactly what your stake president does and "meeting hop" to make sure everything is running smoothly in the other wards. Very easy with YTL.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Just as a note, my stake has just ended pandemic webcasting. All meetings are to be in-person and the only webcasting is for shut-ins. Not for the convenience of members who don't want to attend.

That's going to change how links are distributed. Instead of being easy to find, they need to be available only to those approved by the bishop. That probably means a link or a code that changes parodically.

You may want to assess how far away your area is from doing the same. I know some areas are getting a new wave of infections, while others are coming out of it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:23 pmInstead of being easy to find, they need to be available only to those approved by the bishop.
We did this action about a month ago!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I should add that easy to find links would still be handy for Stake Conferences (where approved by the stake president).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

I put links on the calendar for our ward
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
brad_p

Post by brad_p »

Google Sites with a domain name is a great way to post links. https://www.burchcreek.org/
rdkent

Post by rdkent »

I just wanted to thank those who responded with your experiences.
Those solutions (that were shared as examples) look great.
I am currently trying to work my own solution based on what you have done.
Thanks again.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”