Discord App

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
trishaloubrown

Discord App

Post by trishaloubrown »

Hello,
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but here it goes..
Recently our Stake has been using the Discord App to communicate, and hold virtual video meetings. It is an amazing app where we can have private council rooms to hold Ward Council meetings, ministering meetings, etc.
How do I go about getting permission for our missionaries to join us on Discord for our meetings?
They are approved to use Zoom, Facebook and such. Which are similar but not as good as Discord in my opinion.
Thank you for the help.
Sis. McHenry
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Re: Discord App

Post by rmrichesjr »

Have you discussed the question with your mission president? I would think he would be the best place to start.
trishaloubrown

Post by trishaloubrown »

I thought so too, but the local Elders told me I had to have approval from Salt Lake.
I know they mean well, but I doubt the First Presidency needs to be involved. Figured I could find my answer here.
I will email the mission President. Thank you.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm pretty sure the missionaries' devices are controlled by the IT in SLC. But you stand a far better chance of getting it changed if you get the Mission President involved.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
trishaloubrown

Post by trishaloubrown »

Hi, The mission pres. said he is not part of the approval process. Any ideas on how to proceed or who to contact?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

trishaloubrown wrote:Hi, The mission pres. said he is not part of the approval process.
Probably not a formal part. But if he goes to his presiding authority, and makes some inquiries, it's more likely to happen.

The people in SLC are polite enough to answer the phone, but doubt if they'd do much more than that for just a ward leader making a request to the missionary department. If they won't consider the mission president's inputs, they're not going to consider yours.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

If your stake president feels strongly that Discord is the way to go, he would be able to pass that information up through his area seventy who would then forward it to those at headquarters who make these decisions. Your stake president might also authorize someone such as a counselor, clerk, or executive secretary to contact the missionary department directly and ask if they would consider allowing the software.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

setup a zoom meeting for them. There is NO WAY in all the world that the discord app is going to be approved for Missionary use. It's a mega community and once you give access to the app, it's open for full-scale usage. Any missionary that is into gaming likely was using discord before and you can't just limit discord to the 'ward discord server'

On a personal note, we set one up for our family and it's great. With a couple of kids in school now, it's nice to have family meetings and share information. Kinda cool idea
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
kolisikepu

Post by kolisikepu »

We have a Discord family server with my wife and kids. Then we have a Discord Server with my greater family (siblings and their families. It awesome! Discord IMO is the best communication app... we chat, we video chat and voice chat. We share things via Discord as well.

However, those replying before are right. You can't lock down Discord and it will be open to join other servers. However, we're using it for our Elders Quorum Presidency and may roll it out to invite our whole Elders Quorum.... we'll see. It's just hard getting others onto it when they already have other tools for communications that works almost as well.

Return to “Digital Media”