Church records to find a missionary.

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
jsim

Church records to find a missionary.

Post by jsim »

I am trying to track down a missionary I knew. I have been told he is currently serving as a Bishop in the LDS Church. Would it be appropriate for a LDS Bishop in my area to search the records of the Church for the persons name? Would it be appropriate for the Bishop in my area to provide the contact information of this former missionary? Is there a list of Bishops that can be searched?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Church records to find a missionary.

Post by russellhltn »

If he's a bishop, then the odds are that he's listed in the telephone white pages.

If he has a common name, then I don't know as anyone will be of much help since they won't have the information to know if he's the one that served on a particular mission at a particular time.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jsim wrote:Would it be appropriate for a LDS Bishop in my area to search the records of the Church for the persons name?
That is not possible. A bishop cannot search membership records outside his unit. Privacy laws prevent this. A similar topic was discussed several years ago in the Finding a church member thread.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

You may be able to find him using the instructions here:
http://www.mission.net/en/main_memberlocator.html

Or as stated, you could simply try this site:
http://www.whitepages.com
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
mevans

Post by mevans »

If you know where the person lives, you could try the maps tool at www.lds.org. Just click at the top right of the page where it says Sign In/Tools. Select Maps. You can search an area and find church buildings. Click on church buildings and you'll see all the wards or branches that meet there. If you click on the ward or branch, you'll see the Bishop's last name and a phone number. This can be tedious, and if he lives in a place like Utah, near impossible, due to the number of units in a given area.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

jsim wrote:I am trying to track down a missionary I knew. I have been told he is currently serving as a Bishop in the LDS Church. Would it be appropriate for a LDS Bishop in my area to search the records of the Church for the persons name? Would it be appropriate for the Bishop in my area to provide the contact information of this former missionary? Is there a list of Bishops that can be searched?
Contact info for bishoprics and stake presidency members across the church is accessible to other church leaders at cdol.lds.org. Your bishop or clerk may be able to locate him, if he is a bishop and especially if he has a less-common name or if you know the geographical area.

Best practice would probably be for your bishop or clerk to call him first, and give him your contact info, then leave it up to him to call you.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
marciamiles

Post by marciamiles »

[Moderator edit: Personal information removed.]
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Please don't post personal information here. This is a public forum.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”