Sunday School Course 17 2022 roll missing members

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
comptekki

Sunday School Course 17 2022 roll missing members

Post by comptekki »

I sent the rolls to the Sunday school instructors and the course 17 instructor came back and said some were missing. He mentioned the older members would still be in the class. Why does the Q1 2022 roll generator not take these in to account?
davesudweeks

Re: Sunday School Course 17 2022 roll missing members

Post by davesudweeks »

I wonder what he means by "older members." You might ask the clerk to investigate why the members are not in the correct class. He can manually put them in the correct class. None of us on this user-to-user mutual help forum can (or should) see the private information for your unit.

Note: if the members in question were manually moved into a different class previously, I think that prevents them from being automatically moved at the start of a new year. The manual adjustments can be "reset" but that resets for the entire unit, as I understand, so that should be considered if there are a lot of manual class adjustments.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Agreed! A few years ago, I had a similar problem, where youth were not moving to the next class. I had forgotten that I had manually assigned them to a class a year or two earlier. So I simply reset them, so they automatically moved to the correct class for their age.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

comptekki wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:45 am I sent the rolls to the Sunday school instructors and the course 17 instructor came back and said some were missing. He mentioned the older members would still be in the class. Why does the Q1 2022 roll generator not take these in to account?
I took a look at the rolls and they are correct. All of the members whose 18th birthday is in 2022 show up on the Course 17 roll for 2022. All of the members who are currently in Course 17 (and have all had their 18th birthday) are in Gospel Doctrine for 2022.

Here are the instructions from section 13.3 of the General Handbook:
Young men and young women typically start attending a youth Sunday School class at the beginning of the year they turn 12. They may start attending an adult class when they turn 18.

The Sunday School president organizes as many youth classes as are needed. Youth should be assigned to classes according to their age. If there are few youth in an age-group, they may be combined in a class with a similar age-group. They stay in that same class until January of the next year.
Based on your comment ("older members"), I suspect he thinks that the youth who are currently 18 and not yet graduated from high school should still be in his class. If you want them to stay in Course 17, you will need to manually move them to that class.

While you're at it, someone has split your Course 17 class and created a Temple Preparation class. You should merge those two classes back together. Temple Preparation should not be taught during Sunday School. See General Handbook, 25.2.8:
Under the bishop’s direction, a temple preparation course may be organized to help members prepare to make covenants as they receive temple ordinances. These courses are held outside of regular Sunday meetings at a time convenient for members. They may be held at a meetinghouse or in a home.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

scgallafent wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:19 pmWhile you're at it, someone has split your Course 17 class and created a Temple Preparation class. You should merge those two classes back together. Temple Preparation should not be taught during Sunday School. See General Handbook, 25.2.8:
Under the bishop’s direction, a temple preparation course may be organized to help members prepare to make covenants as they receive temple ordinances. These courses are held outside of regular Sunday meetings at a time convenient for members. They may be held at a meetinghouse or in a home.
I wish that Church systems could remove the Sunday School class names that have been obsolete now since 2019. Per the General Handbook and the Church style guide, Temple Preparation, Gospel Principles, and Gospel Doctrine are no longer part of the Sunday School program. The only official Sunday School class for adults is "adult Sunday School" with the Come, Follow Me curriculum (of which there can be more than one if needed). Church members can't be expected to change if official Church tools don't change.
General Handbook, 13.3.2 wrote: As needed, the Sunday School president may organize Sunday School classes for specific groups. The curriculum for these classes is Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School.
Groups that could benefit from their own Sunday School class include: • Young single adults. • Members who do not speak the ward’s primary language. • New members, returning members, and those who are learning about the Church. • Other groups as noted by the bishop.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/general-handbook/13-sunday-school?lang=eng#title_number11
Church Style Guide, 6th ed., revised 4/21, p. 73 wrote: Church Terms No Longer in Use
The following names and terms are no longer current in Church usage, but they may be used in referring to past publications, programs, or activities: …
Gospel Essentials, Gospel Principles, Gospel Doctrine
class
https://rsc.byu.edu/sites/default/files/web_content/guidelines/pdf/Church_Style_Guide_for_Editors_and_Writers.pdf
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

sbradshaw wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:49 am
scgallafent wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:19 pmWhile you're at it, someone has split your Course 17 class and created a Temple Preparation class. You should merge those two classes back together. Temple Preparation should not be taught during Sunday School.
I wish that Church systems could remove the Sunday School class names that have been obsolete now since 2019. Per the General Handbook and the Church style guide, Temple Preparation, Gospel Principles, and Gospel Doctrine are no longer part of the Sunday School program. The only official Sunday School class for adults is "adult Sunday School" with the Come, Follow Me curriculum (of which there can be more than one if needed). Church members can't be expected to change if official Church tools don't change.
This is a change that was made to the classes BY THE UNIT. The Course 17 class was split into two classes and one of those was renamed to "Temple Preparation."

Official Church tools have made the change to remove the discontinued classes. I don't know why we haven't gotten instructions to rename Gospel Doctrine. The request to change that would have to come from the appropriate department.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”