Removing Highlighting in Scriptures

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
chasebillings52905@gmail.com

Re: Removing Highlighting in Scriptures

Post by chasebillings52905@gmail.com »

Hi So I Figured out how to remove highlighted sections in Library 5.11.0 11809 if anyone is interested in finding out how this is what you do if you have only 1 verse highlighted tap the highlighted verse and then you will see a table then click on remove and do the same if you have a verse that is underlined but if you have a verse that is underlined and highlighted click the verse that is underlined and highlighted once and it will bring up a tab that says choose highlight tap on the verse that is just highlighted and then the table will come up again and then tap remove and then you will see just it underlined and then tap the verse again and click on remove
and your done!
Hope this helps!
kwerby

Post by kwerby »

I use chrome and would like to delete old highlights and am unable. It's very frustrating and I would like to see this feature fixed. Once in a great while a window pops up and it will ask which highlight I would like to delete. I don't know why it shows up and I don't know how to get to reappear. Please fix.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

kwerby wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:04 am I use chrome and would like to delete old highlights and am unable. It's very frustrating and I would like to see this feature fixed. Once in a great while a window pops up and it will ask which highlight I would like to delete. I don't know why it shows up and I don't know how to get to reappear. Please fix.
To remove a highlight, you should be able to click on the highlight, then the menu will appear with an option to delete. You do not want to select text – that will initiate creation of a new highlight. Instead, simply click the existing highlight to select it and see options. If you're on a mobile device, you may have better luck with the iOS or Android Gospel Library app.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
munaish

Post by munaish »

The problem for me isn't that I can't delete them, but that it takes too much time, since there are so many I want to delete. What I do instead is just not log in. Then I have a clean slate to work with until I uninstall/reinstall the Gospel Library Android app.
djkubus

Post by djkubus »

My problem is that when I highlight a specific word, the app insists on highlighting the next two words also. After much wrestling with it, I cannot get it to highlight just the one word. Now, I've inadvertently gotten more than one color on that passage, it looks ugly, and I can't remove the highlights. The option to "Remove highlight" doesn't appear for me; it is grayed out and not selectable. Can someone please help me learn how to remove these unsightly highlights?
nataliekaycrossley

Post by nataliekaycrossley »

I am soooo frustrated with the highlight option if you highlight something you do not want its is near to impossible to un highlight it! and it take too much time. this need to be fixed and added as a main button in the menu when you have marking options.
rkoenigs

Post by rkoenigs »

To remove highlighting, see solutions below

method 1
Screenshot (824).png

method 2

often times when selecting highlighted text the sidebar appears. follow solution 2 (below). the sidebar often appears when the same text has been highlighted twice. To remove double highlighted text you will need to go thru method 2 twice.
Screenshot (820).png

method 3
Screenshot (838).png
Screenshot (839).png
method 4
often times when selecting highlighted text the sidebar appears. follow solution 4 (below). the sidebar often appears when the same text has been highlighted twice. To remove double highlighted text you will need to go thru method 4 twice.
Screenshot (840).png
Screenshot (841).png
Screenshot (839).png
craigdblom

Post by craigdblom »

Working from a PC desktop, and trying multiple browsers, none of these solutions have worked for me. The "Remove" icon remains grayed out no matter what I do.
craigdblom

Post by craigdblom »

After wrestling a lot with this problem and trying to follow all the advice I could find in the tech formum (and not being successful) here is what I learned -- hoping it will be helpful to some.

*Note: I did my best to upload relevant photos to this post, but not sure it worked. Here's hoping... Thinking that you should at least be able to see URLs for the images.
*Another Note: entry was made on 4/26/2023. As the coders make periodic changes - these instructions may have a limited lifespan. Also done on a PC.

The first thing I learned is that each time I tried to remove a highlight, what it actually did was record a new highlight. If you change the color of a highlight, the system doesn't overwrite the old highlight by replacing it, but adds it to a list or history of highlights. If you were to successfully remove a highlight, and there is still another one in the history, it will still show a highlight. With this in mind, the right panel you see people talking about shows that list. Here is an image of my "history" of messing with a single highlight in my scriptures.
In the image you can see the panel on the right showing my history. If you look at all my attempts to remove the highlighting, you will see some of them are entries with NO highlighting.

That happened when, as shown below, I highlighted the text and chose the non-highlighted character.

So here is how I removed the highlighting after many attempts. First you need to get that right panel open. To do this you click on the highlighted text (NOT re-highlighting the text by dragging the mouse over it). Simply single-click on the highlighted text and that right pane should open and show all your attempts.

Now single-click on the one of the entries in the right panel that DOES have highlighting. The funny thing is that you can't just click anywhere on the listed entry, you MUST click on the words in the entry that are highlighted. This is true even if you want to remove an entry that has no highlighting. Once you do this the grayed out "Remove" icon (trash can) should be accessible.

In order to remove the highlighting, however, you must go through the entire history and do this with every entry that shows highlighting.
craigdblom

Post by craigdblom »

*UPDATE

The very next day after I posted the above, I went in to do some highlighting and found that it now works exactly the way you would think it should.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”