Caller ID - Not Working

Discussions around the Android version of the Member Tools application
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Caller ID - Not Working

Post by lajackson »

nykvail wrote:Has this feature been dropped for android?
The option is still there to turn it on or off, but it does not seem to be working.
russ2p

But why does it work or not work?🤔

Post by russ2p »

So I've noticed this feature is not working for me on Android (version 4.5.1) and with my new callings it sure would be nice.

I know I've seen it work in the past on my Android phones.

Does anyone know the technical reasons why this is not working. Under the setting Enable Caller ID there is subtext "May not work on all devices"

Is this because of a carrier setting, Android skin setting(s) of the manufacturer, Android security? Is this subtext just a message to sound nice but that really means, it's not a priority to research why this still works on some phones and not others but will let it still work for some users and just kind of leave other users in the dark but give a heads up message about it possibly not working

I'm curious how much the dev team understands the nature of the issue and what causes it to work or not . Do they have a list of Android versions and manufacture skins they know it works with and or a carrier settings that is works with or doesn't? Perhaps the dev team knows exactly why this does or does not work and I'd like to understand when or why not it's not been prioritized to be fixed.

This info might help users to troubleshoot or even influence a phone purchase.

I'll send this inquiry to -membertools@churchofjesuschrist.org. per the suggestion in this thread - viewtopic.php?t=7631
Attachments
caller id setting.png
caller id setting.png (13.26 KiB) Viewed 1522 times
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

It has never worked for me on my Motorola Moto Z3 phone running Android 9. My wife is on a Samsung phone running Android 10 (I think) and she said it works for her. She has other problems with her Samsung phone (about a year newer than mine) that I don't have so I'm OK to have my problem and not hers, LOL*. I just manually add the phone numbers to my contact list for anyone in the stake who calls me.

*For anyone wondering, I have recommended on several occasions to her to just replace her phone, but she doesn't want to right now so I'm honoring her wishes.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Does anyone know which department at the church is currently in the queue for enhancements for Tools, maybe we can send them some chocolate or something to see if they'll ask for this feature to be consistent and usable for everyone. I'm not sure though, that ability to get in touch with your mission president through tools was an item discussed on this board for years and years and finally made it to the top of the queue. There must be other really super important additions to the tools app that this request would make this a very minimal priority.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

No go on my Google Pixel 5 running Android 12.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:09 pm No go on my Google Pixel 5 running Android 12.
Something to check:

Settings > Apps > (See all apps) > Member Tools

Look at "Permissions". See if it has permissions for "Phone".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:49 pm
Something to check:

Yes, it has permissions set for using both "Phone" and "Location".
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:55 pm Yes, it has permissions set for using both "Phone" and "Location".
Rats. It was worth a shot.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

russellhltn wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:49 pm
Mikerowaved wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:09 pm No go on my Google Pixel 5 running Android 12.
Something to check:

I already tried that on my phone as well. Everything was set to have proper permissions, but still no go on the caller ID. But not a huge deal for me.

Return to “Android Member Tools App”