Video gaming

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
jeremyenglish

Video gaming

Post by jeremyenglish »

I dont know who to talk to or where to ask about this so I'm posting here. I am a video game developer and I'm working on games (mobile, console, any platform) based on stories in the Book of Mormon. The first one I am working on is a mobile game based on Lehi's vision of the tree of life. Who can i contact to possibly collaborate with the Church on this and future projects, i really feel like we can share the gospel through gaming and I want to do it the right way.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Video gaming

Post by russellhltn »

jeremyenglish wrote:I want to do it the right way.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.

If you're going to use anything Copyrighted, I'd suggesting following the "Terms of Use" link in the footer of the main website and contact the department listed there.

If you're taking doctrine, the church tries to stay focused on their mission. Unless a department thinks this would be a good idea, I doubt there would be any takers. You might have better luck collaborating with a BYU professor.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Sounds like a great project! You will need to get permission if you use significant amounts of text from a recent edition of the Book of Mormon (rather than just a quote here or there) or if you use audio recordings or videos produced by the Church, but other than that there shouldn't be any restrictions on the idea, using themes or characters from the Book of Mormon, etc.

Like russellhltn says, it's rare for Church departments to sponsor or collaborate on new projects initiated by individual Church members, but members are always encouraged to use their talents to benefit others and share the gospel.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
BarbaraBolding

Post by BarbaraBolding »

jeremyenglish wrote:I dont know who to talk to or where to ask about this so I'm posting here. I am a video game developer and I'm working on games (mobile, console, any platform) based on stories in the Book of Mormon. The first one I am working on is a mobile game based on Lehi's vision of the tree of life. Who can i contact to possibly collaborate with the Church on this and future projects, i really feel like we can share the gospel through gaming and I want to do it the right way.
I don't understand what you are trying to say.
kerihansen

Post by kerihansen »

A place to start given from someone who works for the Church (not me):

https://permissions.churchofjesuschrist.org/

Return to “Other Member Technologies”