App for sacrament speaker assignments

Do you have a useful link that involves the Church and the technology discussed on this site? Post your links and resources here.
Chadguerra

App for sacrament speaker assignments

Post by Chadguerra »

As I make assignments for speakers, I am constantly reminded that my tracking could be better done in a custom designed software. I use google docs to track who has spoken, when they spoke, and their subject. I can search to look up the last time someone spoke.
It is clear that more is desirable:
- pull ward membership from lds tools
- allow individuals to be given different status, in case of inactivity for example
-provide a report of suggestions for talk assignments (so that we dont unintentionally ask more of one and less of another)

This tool may already exist, if so please let me know.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: App for sacrament speaker assignments

Post by jdlessley »

There is no app developed by the Church for this purpose.
Any third party app that does this with any membership data pulled from church records would violate the restriction against storing such data outside church approved apps or church servers.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

When I served as clerk, I would print off a list of members and add the date next to those who spoke. The list was kept in the locked filing cabinet in the clerk's office for easy review by any member of the bishopric. They youth were often amazed that the bishopric members remembered the last time they spoke, LOL.

It was manual, but didn't violate any policy about keeping membership data in the cloud. The bishopric kept a topics list on a spreadsheet - they would plan that some months in advance (the spreadsheet was just dates and topics - no members listed).
mmickelson

Post by mmickelson »

I have ideas but not the proper skills.

I imagine that when assigning, we would record the names of the speakers manually so it wouldn't need a connection to the church directory but would build a list as time went on. It would record what a person was invited to do (speak, opening prayer, etc.), and if they accepted or rejected the assignment. A couple other details would be there but that's the basic idea.

If anyone has seen of such a thing or wants to make it, I'd love to know!
ashleyzufelt

Post by ashleyzufelt »

mmickelson wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:14 pm I have ideas but not the proper skills.

I imagine that when assigning, we would record the names of the speakers manually so it wouldn't need a connection to the church directory but would build a list as time went on. It would record what a person was invited to do (speak, opening prayer, etc.), and if they accepted or rejected the assignment. A couple other details would be there but that's the basic idea.

If anyone has seen of such a thing or wants to make it, I'd love to know!
I am I am finishing a software and web development degree, and am working on an idea I have for a project management application that could be used by ward organizations. I'd love to hear your other ideas for tracking speakers, assignments, etc. You can email me directly at zuf20001@byui.edu
ropaswan

Post by ropaswan »

I don’t have an app, but I created a spreadsheet that outputs a printer-friendly list of speakers based on when they spoke last. It has the ability to temporarily or permanently exclude names (people who have moved out or are away at school, but will come back). It’s in Excel 365 and can be used by anyone.

If you want to try it, you can download it here from OneDrive. If you find it useful (or it would be if something was different), please let me know.

- Sacrament Speaker Tracker spreadsheet
- Sample File
- PowerPoint tutorial

If you don't have a place to share your file with your leaders, send me a note and I can set up a shareable file for you. Send me an email at sacramentmeetingspeakertracker@gmail.com

Here is a screenshot of the printable page. Note that the last names have been abbreviated here for privacy.
Screenshot of output page
Screenshot of output page
Robert
Memphis, TN
ropaswan

Post by ropaswan »

mmickelson wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:14 pm If anyone has seen of such a thing or wants to make it, I'd love to know!
I’m not sure if you’re still looking or not, but you can try the spreadsheet I posted above.

Let me know if it is helpful.

Return to “Links & Resources”