Key Indicators & Family History Report - 1st 4 generations

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
jlsteffen

Re: Key Indicators & Family History Report - 1st 4 generations

Post by jlsteffen »

Team, I understand that the percentage in the report is based on how many of the 15 Names across the whole ward are in one’s tree. With that in mind, in our January report, we show 47.2% in this area. In December 2020, we had 70.8%. How did we lose 23.6%?p in a month?
swigginton

Post by swigginton »

jlsteffen wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:13 pm Team, I understand that the percentage in the report is based on how many of the 15 Names across the whole ward are in one’s tree. With that in mind, in our January report, we show 47.2% in this area. In December 2020, we had 70.8%. How did we lose 23.6%?p in a month?
Something has certainly changed. I'm seeing a similar difference in our stake report. 2021 was at 70.0%. 2022 YTD shows 41.2.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
brucebre

Post by brucebre »

Same thing with our ward. The number is half of what it was last month. Maybe the definition of the report has changed?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

brucebre wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:41 pm Same thing with our ward. The number is half of what it was last month. Maybe the definition of the report has changed?
In the post just before yours, there is a link to another thread with more information (and a link to a FamilySearch article describing the change).
jlsteffen

Post by jlsteffen »

A basic question...given the new focus approach to having up to the 4th generation complete to members who have an active FamilySearch account, my question is simple: Is a member everyone baptized? If yes, then the newest 8yr old member would need to start constructing his/her tree to affect this data point...right?

Just trying to ensure I understand our definitions... :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I believe the minimum age for having an account is 13. So, we can leave the primary alone.

Still, that leaves open the question when someone is added to the denominator when calculating the percentage.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

russellhltn wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:37 pm I believe the minimum age for having an account is 13. So, we can leave the primary alone.

Still, that leaves open the question when someone is added to the denominator when calculating the percentage.
Children 8-12 can have a FamilySearch account with parental permission. See here (may require login to view): https://www.familysearch.org/en/help/he ... or-a-child

From reading the description earlier in the thread, I take it that that children of parents who have 4 generations in their family tree will be counted as having 4 generations also if they have an account (and are linked properly to their ancestors). The question I have is, are children under 8 counted in the denominator since children under 8 are not permitted to have a FamilySearch account and thus cannot establish a link to their ancestors (in FamilySearch).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jlsteffen wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:24 pm A basic question...given the new focus approach to having up to the 4th generation complete to members who have an active FamilySearch account, my question is simple: Is a member everyone baptized? If yes, then the newest 8yr old member would need to start constructing his/her tree to affect this data point...right?

Just trying to ensure I understand our definitions... :)
The denominator for the 4-generation ancestors statistic (and for every other statistic on the FHAR) includes all youth and adult members of the ward. So that means every one who turns 12 or older sometime in the calendar year. That has been true for several years.

The only change this year is who is included in the numerator -- you have to have signed in at least once to a FamilySearch account that is linked to your Membership Record Number (previously members who had never signed in to FamilySearch could still be included).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:37 pm I believe the minimum age for having an account is 13. So, we can leave the primary alone.
13 is the minimum for creating an account on your own, but members age 8-12 can create an account with parental permission.
russellhltn wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:37 pmStill, that leaves open the question when someone is added to the denominator when calculating the percentage.
At the beginning of each year, youth who are turning 12 in that calendar year are added to the Young Men and Young Women organizations. That is also precisely the list of members who are added to the denominator of all the statistics on the FHAR.

Of course, members who move in and out of the ward throughout the year also change the denominator (and can change the numerator of the various statistics as well).

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”