Nonmember Donation

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
silus99

Nonmember Donation

Post by silus99 »

A member recently passed away. His non-member spouse donated [a sum of money] to be spent on ward activities. Not sure what to do with that. Thanks!

[Moderator note: Removed the exact amount for privacy concerns.]
garystroble

Re: Nonmember Donation

Post by garystroble »

Sounds like a quandary to me per the handbook. Suggest your bishop or branch president consult same and/or talk to the stake or mission president as applicable.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Non-members can be donors. That is why MLS/LCR has donor records vs. membership records.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

I would think the problem is not so much that the donor is a non-member but that the donation is not for an allowed purpose. Ward activities are paid out of budget funds and donations to budget aren't allowed. But I expect they don't want to offend the donor by refusing the donation.

Depending on the situation there might be some possible options. Perhaps the donor would be happy to have the funds used for YM and YW camp (although even there the rules for funding camps don't mention 3rd party donations other than in connection with a fund raiser). Or perhaps the ward could have a service activity and use the funds for things related to providing the service (so the donation doesn't fund the activity but rather the service). In any case, it would be up to the bishop, in consultation with the stake president, to determine whether this is an appropriate and allowed use for the funds.

On the more technical side, if the bishop decides the donation can be accepted and used, the money should go into an appropriately name Other account for whatever specific purpose is decided on. It should not be deposited in a Budget account.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

And part of the quandary is that most donations to the Other account may not be tax deductible.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

One possibility is to send it to Tithing. It won't go to the ward's activities, but it will go to church activities world-wide.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

russellhltn wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:58 pm One possibility is to send it to Tithing. It won't go to the ward's activities, but it will go to church activities world-wide.
That's not recommended by the Handbook (see 34.3), first paragraph.
However, only members of the Church may pay tithing.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jonesrk wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:57 am
russellhltn wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:58 pm One possibility is to send it to Tithing. It won't go to the ward's activities, but it will go to church activities world-wide.
That's not recommended by the Handbook (see 34.3), first paragraph.
However, only members of the Church may pay tithing.
I suppose one might skirt that by claiming it's coming from the deceased member's estate. ;)

Short of putting it to the youth big activity, I don't know how else to properly direct it to church activities.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:09 pm Short of putting it to the youth big activity, I don't know how else to properly direct it to church activities.
Fast Offerings
General Missionary Fund
Ward Missionary Fund
Humanitarian Aid
Book of Mormon
Temple Construction

Any of these would normally be tax deductible under the correct circumstances. I would let the bishop ask the family if they have a preference. In my experience, Humanitarian Aid is usually chosen.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

That's a different take on "activity" then I was thinking of, but that might work.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”