Change in Family Activity report ?

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
brenmar

Re: Change in Family Activity report ?

Post by brenmar »

Thank you, davesudweeks, for your reply. I think I will start a new thread in order to better ask the questions I have...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

brenmar wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:43 pm Thank you, davesudweeks, for your reply. I think I will start a new thread in order to better ask the questions I have...
That new thread is here: How to respond to The Change in FHAR
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

davesudweeks wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:50 am Aebrown may correct me (and I welcome correction if it is needed), but my interpretation is: if they don't have a FamilySearch account, they don't have 4 generations in their family tree (in FamilySearch). This involves more than just creating an account. They will have to create an account and then link into their FamilyTree by adding living ancestors (if they have them) and then connecting to deceased ancestors already in FamilySearch.
Just to clarify: The requirement for being counted more than 0 in this statistic is to
  • Have a FamilySearch account
  • Sign in to FamilySearch
  • Connect that account to your Membership record number
Then you will count for at least 1 out of 15 for your portion of the statistic. To count for 15 out of 15, you have to also be connected to these people:
  • 2 parents
  • 4 grandparents
  • 8 great-grandparents
Note that for this particular metric there is no requirement for connecting to deceased ancestors. Especially for a youth, it's possible that all 15 people could be living, and they would get full 100% credit for this statistic. But the great blessing comes when you do connect to deceased ancestors (even if you have to go to the 5th generation to do so). Until you connect to your deceased ancestors, you are missing out on connections not just to your deceased ancestors (which is the key to features such as record hints and Ordinances Ready), but also to other living contributors or participants in features such as Relatives Around Me or Relatives at RootsTech.
davesudweeks wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:50 am I have helped some friends do just that and they were amazed that once they connected to their most recent deceased ancestors, their family tree automatically extended further back than they imagined. They were excited, to say the least.
That's exactly what needs to be done, and I too have had some great experiences with helping people do this.

Return to “Family History”