Gospel Library 4.0 for Android

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
dsesplin

Re: Gospel Library 4.0 for Android

Post by dsesplin »

I just got a new android tablet (galaxy S8) and was expecting to be able to pin the related content sidebar in portrait mode, but it only works in landscape.
sbradshaw wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:54 pm
mwestout wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:44 am I think it is interesting that the Gospel Library for IOS team has figured out how to display related content on the right side of the screen without obscuring the main content while in portrait mode. Unless Android has some sort of limitation preventing this, it can be done.
Related content on iOS and Android behaves mostly the same. On a phone in portrait mode, the related content sidebar will slide over, covering the main content. To see them side-by-side, you need to be in landscape mode, or on a tablet or larger device. In previous versions of the app (before Gospel Library 4.0, which was released in December 2016), related content showed in a drawer at the bottom of the screen on a phone in portrait mode. However, before Gospel Library 4.0, related content also did not include actual content snippets, videos, or images – it was a list of abbreviated scripture reference links only – so, it was easier to display the related content in a smaller space.

The best way to send a feature request is using the in-app feedback (Help > Send Feedback). The support team keeps track of common feature requests and provides regular reports to the Gospel Library product manager.
forbushd

Post by forbushd »

mojoteri wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:26 pm
sbradshaw wrote:
cbradford wrote:Is there a way to display the footnotes on the same screen as the main screen as in the previous edition? It was super useful to see the footnotes on the same screen instead on having them hidden on the side.
Yes, on a phone in landscape mode, or on a tablet in portrait or landscape mode, you can pin the sidebar open. The sidebar was moved to the side to allow displaying more dynamic content – some design compromising was required.
cbradford wrote:Also, the ability to move the bookmark by dragging it has gone away. Please tell me it will be brought back.
This will probably be brought back at some point; however, it's not on the near-term roadmap. It's not a feature that was used very often because most users weren't moving a bookmark within a chapter – instead, they tended to move them between chapters. That, combined with the complexity of the interaction (for programming) and the tight deadline, required the feature to not be ported over for now.

If you updated bookmarks using the bookmarks menu before, you will probably notice that updating a bookmark is done using the bookmark's contextual menu instead of long-holding like it used to be. This allowed long-holding for dragging and reordering the bookmarks (which wasn't possible before).
How do you set a bookmark at the bottom of a page? I'm on a pixel tablet, and that leaves about 15-30 verses/page that can't be bookmarked. Our family reads a page a day, bookmarks are now marginal. Also, can't use them teaching. They no longer point to the scripture, but the top part of the chapter.
It has been 5+ years and the Android version still lags majorly behind because verses/paragraphs at below the top of the viewport that are at the end of chapters/readings cannot be bookmarked.
forbushd

Post by forbushd »

lmcguire wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:00 pm
winonadavies wrote:Please! Let me have the old version. I can't see my footnotes, links, or tags on the same screen. I can't do a quick search so I can link things easily. The menu is not nearly as intuitive as the 3.0.3 version.
You can get the old version here, and side-load it: https://tech.lds.org/dl/android/org.lds ... 60913-1723
dsesplin wrote:I'm missing the ability to open the related content screen and scroll the book and the footnotes etc side by side. When we study the scriptures together, it is nice to be able to scroll through the chapter and have our thoughts and comments scroll along with the text. Is this view still available?
NOTE: While you can pin the "Related Content" pane in landscape mode, it does not scroll along with the text - you have to scroll it separately.

Liz
Note to Church employees. We can no longer sign in via this page to get this older Android release. Hitting sign in just bounces or loops back to the same page. So it is now imperative to bring back this feature so I can access to features that supposedly were going to be added back (5+ years ago!) like tapping to drag and move to update bookmark. Nothing but radio silence and frozen in time on this important request. I have no idea who is managing the Android version because they add other features from the other OS releases like music bar and font resizing and the home page, amazing features in their own right, but leave more important daily used features like the bookmark system years behind the others. Please do the work necessary to bring the Android version up to speed with the other releases!.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”