Use of clerk computer for streaming device?

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
rl_albright

Use of clerk computer for streaming device?

Post by rl_albright »

Went into a location to fix a portion of their sound system for zoom, as I do frequently these days. And noticed something peculiar. This building was connecting to the AV cabinet using a small computer from the Church that had a clerk's office load on it. The OS load was not mistakable it was definitely a clerk office load on that computer.
The question I have is there is no way that this computer is being utilized for the purpose it was brought into the building for, and now the church is on the hook for an additional Windows License and software that is meant for a Clerk's office. Is this an authorized use of that type of computer?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Use of clerk computer for streaming device?

Post by russellhltn »

As far as licensing, as long as it's "Pro", it probably follows the machine. I don't think the church pays for it

The next question, is it a "current" clerk's machine, or is it a retired machine?

Assuming it's a retired machine, it's up to FM to ask for the old one back.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

As for policy, any policy would be created by Meetinghouse Facilities Department (MFD) and passed on to the facilities management group (FMG). However, I've never found where the policy could be accessed by anyone outside of FMG.

This has created a few incidents here were we can't tell if it's policy, or something arbitrary that FM has come up with.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rl_albright

Post by rl_albright »

Well that can be a double edge sword. Recently this same Church FM required that I send all old retired computers into Church HQ for recycling, but now I see this that he (I assume) is doing. (Insert rolling eyes here.)

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”