Deceased Member's name is spelled incorrectly

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dandshall2

Deceased Member's name is spelled incorrectly

Post by dandshall2 »

I had a sister of the ward come to me today to inform me that her mother's first name is spelled incorrectly, the issue I saw immediately in my mind is that I recorded the mother's death within the past month or so I would not have access to the mother's record any longer.

I looked into the member's information for this sister, and under parents, I was able to correct the spelling of the mother there, but I think that is a superficial change only (since it did not have any birth or death dates entered under edit).

So the question is how can I find out what the Church records have for the mother's name and if it is incorrect, how to get it corrected?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Deceased Member's name is spelled incorrectly

Post by russellhltn »

I'm surprised you'd be able to edit the name of a member parent. Unless this was a non-member spouse, I suspect she's not properly linked with her mother.

I'd suggest contacting support.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dandshall2

Re: Deceased Member's name is spelled incorrectly

Post by dandshall2 »

I am thinking since her mother and father were deceased, it allowed me to edit the name. I do not know if that is true or not, but the only logical assumption I can make. I did email support as well.

Return to “Membership Help”