Errors Saving Annotations

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
mevans

Errors Saving Annotations

Post by mevans »

Since Friday (Sep 18) or Saturday (Sep 19), I've been receiving errors when saving annotations. It seems that the highlights and tags save, but any notes I type sometimes have difficulty saving and an error may pop up saying the annotation couldn't be saved. I seem to be able to get things to eventually save, but it can take a few times.

Is anyone else experiencing issues?
mevans

Re: Errors Saving Annotations

Post by mevans »

I wonder if some service had problems over the weekend and it got fixed when people got to work on Monday? I had some issues on Monday morning. Today I'm studying and adding notes and everything is working quite well.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Now today I'm getting the "unable to save annotation" message again. It appears below the dialog where I'm typing my annotation. Then I refresh the page and another message pops up that says "annotation saved." I've never seen either of these messages until recently.
markepeterson

Post by markepeterson »

I cannot save bookmarks. Any help would be appreciated. thx
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

markepeterson wrote:I cannot save bookmarks. Any help would be appreciated. thx
Make sure you are logged in. I'd also try incognito mode. If that works, you need to clear out the cookies associated with church web pages. There's a problem with cookie build-up on church pages.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
DixeeN

Saving Annotations

Post by DixeeN »

Thanks for asking this question. I often have trouble saving or bookmarking COMEFOLLOWME or Scriptures for the week. Cookies build-up on the Church website eh? I will see if I can learn how to work on that and see if it makes a difference.
porterdansie

Post by porterdansie »

I have been pretty consistently having issues like this since I've been in Mexico. Not really sure what causes it, but I do get quite a few errors saving annotations, and I'd love to see more stability in the desktop version of Gospel Library
sterlingwhipple

Post by sterlingwhipple »

I've been having issues with the church's website on-and-off for months. I repeated clear my cookies, cache, and history, but it keeps being an issue. I would love it if this issue could be fixed. It's hard for me to vibe w/ the Spirit when I'm fighting technical issues.
ebyers

Post by ebyers »

I also started to experience problems sometime early last week. Tags are what I'm having issues with. I can highlight/underline, add notes/annotations - but Tags are not functioning. I can create a new tag, but I can no longer apply an existing tag in a note/annotation. As I noted, this has been going on for days now.

I stopped using the online tools for almost two years because there were so many issues with it - and it also blew up my notebooks - twice - so I threw my hands up in the air and said forget it. I have recently come back to it because I have run out of room in my scripture margins and don't want to go buy another set of scriptures again. So, I have only been using tags as I think those are sufficient for my needs - but now not even those are working! I have begun to believe that these tools are not widely used by the membership of the church and as a result, the importance given to the functionality of annotations, tags, etc. just are not important to the corporate church. This is demonstrable in the number of failures of the system and the response time in correcting them. It certainly isn't a lack of resources, but a lack of how these tools rank in importance, and focusing those resources to keep these tools up and functioning properly. Very unfortunate.
ebyers

Post by ebyers »

Update to my original post. Evidently, the coding group has been experimenting with some new code on the site which is breaking various parts - including the tags. Evidently, you can usually tell if you have been shunted to the dev portion if there is a ? toward the end of your URL. Here are the instructions in case you are experiencing similar or what might appear to be related issues:

"The (ABN) URL is safe, it is a test that developers are using to test different layouts on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org website and it can sometimes cause errors such as this. To disable the ABN test and view the normal site, you can add &mboxDisable=1 to the end of the URL if there is a “?” in the URL already, or ?mboxDisable=1 to the end of the URL if no “?” is found in the URL."

Strange to have them experiment with the live site, but at least they knew what was happening and had a solution for it. My tags are working again!

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”