MLS has been disabled by the Church

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Biggles

Re: MLS has been disabled by the Church

Post by Biggles »

jdlessley wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:34 am
Biggles wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:02 am I’m curious as to which/where the dashboard note indicating MLS has been disabled was posted. Unless I’ve missed it elsewhere, I’ve only seen a post, in the forum, mentioning this.
It is on the landing page for LCR - if/when you can get to it.
I've just checked the landing page on LCR and all I'm seeing, in the way of notices, is about the Quarterly Report.
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

Biggles wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:52 am
Biggles wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:02 am I’m curious as to which/where the dashboard note indicating MLS has been disabled was posted. Unless I’ve missed it elsewhere, I’ve only seen a post, in the forum, mentioning this.
I've just checked the landing page on LCR and all I'm seeing, in the way of notices, is about the Quarterly Report.
It's on the Finance Landing page
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

kd7mha wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:59 am
Biggles wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:52 am
It's on the Finance Landing page
I checked that and there’s no messages about MLS there. Perhaps us in Europe are on a different system?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

russellhltn wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:03 am
It also appears that it hasn't been disabled - but perhaps is speed limited.
I don't know about the finance side, but the server that processes MLS requests for membership and prepares membership change to go down to the units is shut down.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jonesrk wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:25 am . . . the server that processes MLS requests for membership and prepares membership change to go down to the units is shut down.
Permanently?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jonesrk wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:25 am I don't know about the finance side, but the server that processes MLS requests for membership and prepares membership change to go down to the units is shut down.
Ok, so MLS as far as membership is dead. But it appears the finance side is still alive.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

russellhltn wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:25 am
jonesrk wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:25 am I don't know about the finance side, but the server that processes MLS requests for membership and prepares membership change to go down to the units is shut down.
Ok, so MLS as far as membership is dead. But it appears the finance side is still alive.
That is totally contrary to the message posted in LCR on the Finance Dashboard, where it states MLS has been disabled and we are instructed to use LCR only to record donations now.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:18 am Perhaps us in Europe are on a different system?
Quite likely given that you fall under a different area office, and you have forms of money transfer that we don't. For example, we still deal in checks while you have funds transfer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I also still see the LCRF notice that MLS connections have been disabled, and donations are to be done via LCR. Perhaps the plug hasn't been officially pulled, or was pulled but then plugged back in quietly.

But I'd be a bit concerned that even if the MLS finance transmission appears to go through correctly, there might be a bug in the system that causes some data to get lost -- since the Church seems to feel very unconfident about MLS at this point, and we (the users) don't have specific details about what might be working or not working. When systems start to go down, it's common for a user to get feedback indicating things are ok, but inside the system things aren't quite right. So if somebody uses MLS Finance and it "works", I suggest double-checking later on via LCR to ensure the donation went through properly.

I'd expect if it goes through ok then things are truly good. But given the flakiness of the situation, best to be sure.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

garystroble wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:32 am That is totally contrary to the message posted in LCR on the Finance Dashboard, where it states MLS has been disabled and we are instructed to use LCR only to record donations now.
And yet it appears some were able to process donations though MLS. What's stated doesn't seem to align with what's being posted.

BrianEdwards makes a good point that it may be failing on the backend where we can't see it.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”